CHAPTER 9: Excitement Never Stay

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you." the crowd sings joyfully. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEZEKIAH!" they shouted. And he blows out the candle after a 5-second wish.

They started to enjoy the party made for the young kid Hezekiah, who turned 9 years old this very day. Everyone is so excited to see him open every gift that was given to him. Some are given by his close relatives, others by his friends, and also by his parents.

But he still looked so gloomy beside his cake.

The young kid is waiting for another friend— a special friend of his. His mother approached him at the corner, playing with his new toy car, alone.

"Why don't you play with your friends over there?" his Mom said and pointed out the children crowded at the right side of the house, playing and giggling.

"Maybe she isn't going to come. Because she doesn't like me." he somberly uttered. And he turned to look at their opening expecting someone to enter, but no shadow of his friend showed up.

"You're waiting for Morrilae?" he nodded.

"Yesterday she told me she'll be playing with me today."

"Did you tell her today is your birthday?" his Mom asked. He shook his head as he answered. "Why?"

"I want to play with her not because it's my birthday," he explained. His Mom giggled a bit after hearing his explanations. "Where's dad?" he questioned.

"Don't look for your dad, he's already drunk." her Mom warned.

"Fine," he replied.

"Why don't we wait for her near the gate?"

"No, Mom, it's okay. She will not bother to come here anyway. Because she doesn't like me."

"We never know." his Mom hoped. "You wait for her at the front door and I'll prepare food, just for her," she added to comfort her inconsolable child. As he agreed with what his Mother requested he stood up at their front door holding his toy car while waiting for her while his Mom prepared food for his friend.

He waited.

He waited.

The children left the house because the moon almost ate the whole sky. One by one passes through his right side and bids goodbye after greeting him the last time.

Everyone is gone except for his parents and his dad's friend drinking in the backyard.

He decided to sit down, hugged his knees and his eyes never removed its hopeful gazes on their widely opened gate. Until someone's shadow made him stand a bit slower than five shooting stars.

"She's here," he whispered. He can feel the drum under his feet as his heart continues to beat excitedly.

She slowly walked and met him standing stiffly at their door. Her left hand slowly waved at him and received a joyful smile from him before his arms were rejected for a hug.

"I-I I am...sorry. I was just excited to see you here to play with—"

"Happy Birthday." she sincerely greeted which he didn't even expect to come out from her lips. But it was the first greeting he wanted to keep in his mind. To be played on repeat over and over again.

"T-Thank you. But how did you know?" he wondered. Her answer was her right hand pointing out the big tarpaulin hanging on the left side of their gate. He just awkwardly nodded to agree.