iii - dakota and jason become a target.

Start from the beginning

"Thanks," Jason said. "You must be an inspiring teacher."

"I am sorry, my boy. But it's true. I had hoped that after Percy's success-"

"Percy Jackson, you mean. Annabeth's boyfriend, the one who's missing."

Chiron nodded. Dakota's eyes focused on the ground but she could feel his eyes on her. Annabeth's boyfriend who she used to have a crush on. Everyone always made her feel guilty about it except Annabeth herself. A crush Dakota had when she was twelve was nothing compared to the love they had. Yet when word got out, she was seen as the crazy lovestruck girl from Cabin 4.

"I hoped that after he succeeded in the Titan War and saved Mount Olympus, we might have some peace. I might be able to enjoy one final triumph, a happy ending, and perhaps retire quietly. I should have known better. The last chapter approaches, just as it did before. The worst is yet to come."

In the corner, the arcade game made a sad pew-pew-pew sound, like a Pac-Man had just died.

"I thought we were done with evil," mumbled Dakota. She had been through a lot the past years. Quest after quest, war, high school, it was all a jumble of trauma she didn't want to relive.

"Ohh-kay," Jason said. "So-last chapter, happened before, worst yet to come. Sounds fun, but can we go back to the part where I'm supposed to be dead? I don't like that part."

"He's meant to be what?"

"I'm afraid I can't explain. I swore on the River Styx and on all things sacred that I would never . . ." Chiron frowned. "But you're here, in violation of the same oath. That too, should not be possible. I don't understand. Who would've done such a thing? Who-"

Seymour the leopard howled. His mouth froze, half open. The arcade game stopped beeping. The fire stopped crackling, its flames hardening like red glass. The masks stared down silently at Dakota with their grotesque grape eyes and leafy tongues.

"Is this normal?" Jason asked her.

"For as long as I've been here . . . no," Dakota stood up from the couch. Every instinct in her body was telling her to draw her weapon. "Chiron? What's going-"

The old centaur had frozen, too. Jason jumped off the couch next to Dakota, but Chiron kept staring at the same spot, his mouth open mid-sentence. His eyes didn't blink. His chest didn't move. Dakota had seen several things in her time as a camper - she had seen a giant, a satyr in a wedding dress, a deathly labyrinth, her friends holding up the sky, but never a frozen centaur.

Jason, Dakota, familiar voice sent chills down Dakota's back. For a horrible moment, she thought the leopard had spoken. Worst of all, she thought he ate a camper. Then dark mist boiled out of Seymour's mouth. Jason grabbed a golden coin from his pocket. With a quick flip, it changed into a sword. In other circumstances, she would've freaked out. But instead Dakota grabbed her crossbow ready with an arrow as the mist took the form of a woman in black robes. Her face was hooded, but her eyes glowed in the darkness. Over her shoulders she wore an animal skin cloak. Animal killer.

Would you attack your patron? the woman chided. Her voice echoed in Dakota's head. Lower your weapons.

"Who are you?" Jason demanded. "How did you-"

Our time is limited, children. My prison grows stronger by the hour. It took me a full month to gather enough energy to work even the smallest magic through its bonds. I've managed to bring you here, but now I have little time left, and even less power. This may be the last time I can speak to you.

"You're in prison?" Dakota decided maybe she wouldn't lower her crossbow. She stood right by Jason, both of them glaring at the mist lady.

"Look," started Jason. "I don't know you, and you're not my patron."