Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

Preeti's POV

As I looked at myself, all I could hear were his words echoing in my mind, tearing through my confidence like a hurricane. "Look at yourself! You're nothing but weak! A person who can't even stand up for herself! What will you do in the future? I'll destroy you, and you won't even be able to save yourself! You're pathetic!" His words pierced through me, and I felt a salty taste in my mouth – my tears. I didn't want to cry, but I couldn't control it. Was I truly useless? Perhaps. I wanted to respond, to defend myself, but I felt suffocated by his relentless onslaught. I sat on the ground, while he towered over me, his stance one of superiority.

He continued, relishing in my distress, "Aww! Look at those pretty tears! That's all you are – weak! I'll tear you down! Everyone will tear you down! Do you think this world is filled with roses? No, they're just hiding their thorns, waiting to hurt you the moment you trust them! I love it when people are scared. And look at you – your face, those sweet tears – they satisfy me!" His words were like daggers, each one inflicting a fresh wound upon my already battered spirit.

Suddenly, a sharp pain erupted in my head, as if he were crushing me under his foot. "Please, don't! Leave me alone!" I begged, the tears and the pain overwhelming me. I felt like I was drowning, desperate for someone to pull me out of this nightmare.

Then, with a gasp, I woke up. It was just a dream. But the fear and the agony lingered, haunting me even in the waking world.I glanced around my room, but all I found was darkness enveloping me like a suffocating blanket. It was just a nightmare, I reassured myself, but the remnants of fear still lingered, refusing to dissipate.

In the silence of the night, the echoes of his voice reverberated in my mind, sending shivers down my spine. The person who had tormented me in my dream, who had mocked my weaknesses and threatened to destroy me, seemed to lurk in the shadows of my room, his presence palpable despite the absence of light.

I pulled the covers closer around me, seeking solace in their embrace, but the chill in the air persisted, seeping into my bones and settling in the pit of my stomach. The memories of my past haunted me relentlessly, their ghostly whispers echoing in the stillness of the night.

I glanced at the clock on my bedside table, its luminous digits casting an eerie glow in the darkness. 4:00 AM. The witching hour, they called it – a time when the veil between the worlds was said to be thinnest, when nightmares roamed freely and fears took on a life of their own.

I closed my eyes, willing myself to drift back into sleep, but the fear lingered, refusing to release its grip on me. Every creak of the floorboards, every whisper of the wind outside, seemed to amplify the sense of dread that hung heavy in the air.

I clutched the sheets tightly in my fists, my breaths coming in shallow gasps as I struggled to shake off the lingering remnants of my nightmare. But try as I might, I couldn't escape the memories that haunted me, their tendrils wrapping around me like chains, dragging me deeper into the abyss of my own fears.

As the first light of dawn began to creep through the curtains, I finally felt a semblance of relief wash over me. The darkness began to recede, chased away by the gentle glow of morning, and with it, the specter of my nightmares seemed to fade into the recesses of my mind.

But even as the sun rose on a new day, I knew that the shadows of my past would continue to haunt me, their presence a constant reminder of the battles I had fought and the scars I carried. And so, with a heavy heart and weary eyes, I braced myself for the challenges that lay ahead, knowing that in the darkness of the night, my demons would always be waiting, ready to torment me once more.

I stood up and took a shower. It's my engagement day! I'm taking a significant step in my life, and I hope it turns out well. Am I being selfish? Am I just using him? But... I don't know whether what I'm doing is right or not.

I went to the hospital for some pending errands. Afterwards, it was already late, so I headed to the banquet where the engagement was being held. I needed to get ready as well. Upon entering my room, where I was supposed to get ready, I found some artists already there. I swiftly put on my engagement lehenga.

The lehenga I wore was truly stunning. The skirt was crafted from luxurious silk fabric in a deep shade of royal blue, adorned with intricate gold embroidery and shimmering sequins. The blouse matched in a rich blue hue with delicate detailing along the neckline and sleeves. The dupatta, sheer and lightweight, featured a matching border with gold accents. The overall look was regal and elegant, perfect for such a special occasion. I felt like a vision of beauty in this exquisite lehenga. As I admired myself in the mirror, I instructed the makeup artist to keep the makeup subtle and natural, and left my hair open, reaching my waist.

Suddenly, I heard a whistle from behind me. Turning around, I saw Aarav and Priyansh bhaiya. "Bhabhi! Do you have any sisters or best friends?" Aarav asked. "No, why?" I replied. "Aree yaarr! I was going to propose to her if you did!" Aarav exclaimed, earning a smack on the head from Priyansh bhaiya. "Ignore him! Bhabhi, you look stunning!" Priyansh complimented me. "Aww! Thank you, bhaiya," I replied with a genuine smile.

They made me feel so comfortable; it felt like home. I felt lucky to be a part of their family. It was rare to see a family living happily without any grudges towards each other, only pure love.

"Sahi me, bhabhi, Aisa lag raha hai ki aap koi swarg ki apsara ho!" Aarav complimented, making me chuckle.

( "Really, bhabhi, you look like an angel who just descended from heaven!" )

"Bewakoofo! Mene tumhe usse laane bheja tha aur tum- wahh!! Preeti! Tu toh insaan lag rahi hai aaj!" Raj bhaiya entered the room. "Bhaiya!!" I whined.

( "You guys! I told you to bring her and y-woah! Preeti! You actually look human today!" )

"Just kidding! You look beautiful!" Raj bhaiya complimented. "Now, come on! The function has started!" Raj bhaiya informed.

...

Hey everyone, I've just finished this chapter after putting in several days of work. I really hope you enjoy it! Please leave your reviews in the comments, and if you want to keep me motivated, don't forget to vote. You can also follow me on Instagram for spoilers and edits. Thank you all so much for your support. Till then, Goodbye...