Chapter 10: Greenman

"This is so stupid." Jack sighed, looking in the mirror at his skin tight green zentai suit, a pair of red shorts and a flannel shirt.

"Is the clothing too much or not enough?" Asked Nicole.

"I don't know, I'm just supposed to silently walk around and wave and try to copy Vinn's movements. I have no say in this. I look like GreenScreen Spiderman on vacation."

"You look great...I mean on the screen anyway it's super realistic."

"Do you have a script or anything?" he asked.

"No we're winging it yolo style. That's kind of our thing, and it works on other stuff."

"Damnit. This is so fuhuHeeeeey!" He said turning and waving.

"Hello! Nicole, we don't see you enough, you never visit." Her mother said.

"Mom, I live so far away it's stupid, and I'm super busy. We move around a lot. They can't lose a person for weeks and the paperwork is unreal."

"We watch your streams sometimes!" said the man in the glasses, waving to the camera.

"Sorry about the cursing, dad but thanks. Do you guys ever watch any of Dee's streams?"

"No, just you." Her mom noted.

"Good, keep it that way. It's a very different kind of content."

"Is this your boss or coworker?" asked her dad.

"Um, actually, Mom, dad, this is Vinn, and we have been dating... for a long time."

"You have a boyfriend, and you didn't tell us for a long time?"

"Well, there are some cultural...complications. He's actually a construction worker, who helps build homes for the natives and people who can't afford it." She said, looking at Jack. "See, I'm not even lying yet, this is too easy."

"Well that's nice. Is that what you do too? I thought you did planning?"

"Uh, I mostly just do odd stuff, cleanup, some cooking, but recently I've been helping in the construction too. It's actually really fun. Vinn makes sure I don't get hurt." She smiled, which was genuine, until she looked up at Jack in a green zentai and her look lost some of its love twinkle.

"So how long and you been dating our Nicole. Asked the dad.

"Uh...honey you wanna take that one?" he dodged.

"Sorry he's kinda shy and English is not his first language, so if he says anything that sounds out of place, he's trying his best. The complex stuff tripps him up sometimes." She explained.

"You made a very nice daughter. Good quality work, proper nutrition." He said as jack gave a jerky thumbs up. Nicole's smile saddened a little.

"Stuff like that." She said. "But kind of a long time, and that's what I wanted to talk to you about. It's gotten pretty serious. He wanted to meet you guys."

"Sounds pretty serious." Her mother said looking both concerned and intrigued. "Do you have any siblings?" she asked.

"Nah, they're both dead." He shrugged.

"Vinn." She nudged, as Jack stared back annoyed. "oopse."

"It's fine? They died in military camp, it happens a lot. Like one in 5 of us makes it to adulthood here." He yawned.

"Oh that's terrible, you poor thing."

"War...kind of a bitch." He winced as Nicole rubbed her face in embarrassment.