Chapter 9: Afterglow

The dim lighting flickered now, as the fireplace was running down to just coals, a shred of it's former glory an hour ago when it was fresh.

Nicole's pupils focused forwards at the darkness of the cave as she stared like a zombie and slowly lifter her tea, her hands shaking so badly that half the tea never reached her mouth. The silence was pierced by a slurping sound and a slight cough as she forgot exactly how to drink for a moment. Vinn sat up behind her and debated weather or not to give her a hug, or give her space. The moment of awkward pause was horrifying.

"Your reaction is absolutely troubling and I am afraid to move or startle you. Any feedback would be a huge improvement." He softly encouraged.

"Yea...we're gonna need the life insurance policy." She said rubbing her head where the Band-Aid was.

"I am so sorry about that I can get some like tennis balls for the antlers or something. I am so sorry."

"No it's fine, now we know that risk. Wasn't an eye, that's good." She sipped.

"So on a scale of one to ten...one being never again for any reason, ten being I get you some sports drink and we go again?"

"Oh no...not just yet, give me some re-spawn time there, Player 2. But I will accept the sports drink. And then tomorrow first thing...we do the life insurance policy, and then you get that damn front door finished. And then game-on"

"Yes Ma'am. Mission accepted." He saluted, lying back and feeling a relief she didn't just say "one".

"You know what...we might just actually make it." She said taking the recovery shot."

"YES." he whispered, fist pumping the air. Her head rushed and she nearly fell over, her veins on fire and her pupils contracting and adjusting."

"Oh my god these are intense." She huffed.

"That's why you're not really supposed to use them for minor injuries. You need some water or something you look really dazed.

"Not now, more sleep." She said rolling back over.

Nicole woke up, barely. She stretched and rolled over, grabbing for the blanket and tugging on it to free it up.

"Nope, that's just my arm hair." Vinn chuckled.

"Sorry." She smiled, realizing the entire couch she thought she was sleeping on was just Vinn. He draped the blanket over her.

"So that was a hell of a thing." He sighed.

"Several things." She whispered, yawning and stretching again. "So what are you thinking about?"

"Just staring at your toes."

"I didn't know you were into that." She said looking half worried and half intrigued.

"Not staring in a weird way." He defended. Her eyebrows raised.

"Okay it's probably weird to you, but not in a weird sexual way. They're just so...odd."

"Thanks." She sarcastically huffed.

"I mean human feet. The individual toes, what do they do? It seems useless. You can't even run on gravel." He muttered.

"We didn't really get a choice of hooves, that's why we invented shoes."

"It just keeps re-hitting me how different we really are. None of this should remotely work on paper."