Chapter 173: Convincing

Start from the beginning

"Hm, we'll have to increase the supply of spare energy cells."

An experienced leader like Lord Kaine always knew the right questions to ask. Even if he held some animosity to Ves, he was capable of putting it aside in favor of advancing his cherished expedition.

However, just as the meeting drew to a favorable conclusion, the main hatch slid open and an angry wildcat entered the stateroom.

"Grandpa!" Felicity growled and stomped over to Ves. She abruptly grasped his collar and used her prodigious strength to lift him up. "I just heard what this bastard intends to do. He wants to butcher the Ajaxes!"

"Sit down Miss Kaine!" The older gentlemen roared, forcing Felicity to halt her impending tirade. "Remember your duties. We are not playing games right now!"

Felicity let go of Ves, allowing him to breathe. She slowly calmed down and squeezed her fists. "Sir! I respectfully wish to issue an objection to Mr. Larkinson's stupid idea. The men assigned to pilot the Olympians have trained with the heavy knights for years. Abruptly implementing major changes will throw away their familiarity with their mechs. I can't guarantee they will be able to perform up to standard when everyone is counting on them!"

She certainly adjusted quickly. Ves admired her excuse. It sounded quite plausible. "Captain Kaine has a point, but the redesign will not offer a vastly different piloting experience. The new Olympian is still the same, it just has higher limits now."

"We don't have the time to indulge in your flights of fancies! You spent so little time on this design. I don't believe you eliminated all of the flaws! Besides that, it also takes an incredibly long time to reconfigure a heavy mech, let alone two. There's no way you can finish converting the Olympians to your new design!"

"I think you underestimate my assembly skills." Ves shook his head. "Under my supervision, I'll be able to direct the mech technicians in your department to take the best paths. I can guarantee you that I'll be able to get it done in ten days."

"Ten days? This is not a flimsy light mech you're talking about. These are heavy mechs!"

Just as it seemed the argument would go on, an alarm suddenly blared. A brief but complex tone sounded out that caused the faces of both Kaines to pale.

Lord Kaine immediately activated his intercomm. "All hands prepare for action! Set condition yellow!"

Felicity already left the room in order to lead her hunting platoon. As for Lord Kaine, he frowned as he studied the incoming data sent to his terminal. He gritted his teeth.

"Opportunists!"

Then, he suddenly remembered that Ves hadn't left. "Mr. Larkinson, you have my permission to implement your design. Begin your work immediately and don't report back until you have finished the overhaul."

"You want me to convert the Olympians right now?"

"A naval battle can drag on for days. The expedition can't afford to keep you idle. Corral the mech technicians assigned to the hunting platoon to assist your efforts as long as it doesn't interfere with the defense of my fleet."

Ves acknowledged the order and promptly got kicked out of the office. The entire fleet carrier transitioned into condition yellow, which was better than condition red but worse than condition green. Basically, the Ark Horizon raised her guard and prepared for battle, even if there might not be an imminent threat.

"What's going on?!" He asked.

Ensign D'Amato studied his comm for a moment. "A large fleet has arrived in our current star system. Considering the remoteness of our current location, the new arrivals are likely targeting our expedition. While they can't match our numbers, they possess enough ships and mechs to pose a threat to Ark Horizon."