Fucking Fire - Chapter 9

TW!!! Slight fire from the previously part!!!

Previously...

"I told you that you could try. I never said you'd succeed if you did. Karma's a bitch, isn't it?" I stuffed my dagger back into the main pocket of my bag and turned around to face Killua, staring at me with an unreadable look in his eyes.

"How much of that did you see?"

Present...

"Doesn't matter. Why'd you kill him?" Killua asked, face still unreadable.

"He deserved it. He was going to try and kill me if I didn't do it first." Killua hummed in response.

"I'm heading back to finish this phase. You coming or not?" I asked as I passed him, dragging my pig behind me.

"I think you left a little something behind." He pointed his thumb behind him as I glanced behind me.

"I'm feeding the needy. Think of it as a special treat for the animals." I then turn back around and book it to my cooking station, Killua not far behind. I could feel his gaze burning into the back of my head, but neither of us said anything.

Once we reached the stations, I quickly claimed one and began working. I didn't know all that much about cooking since our chefs back at home normally did it for us, but sometimes I went to the kitchen and watched them prepare meals when I wanted to get away from my family. This means I have a basic understanding of ingredients and what to use versus what not to.

I grabbed some olive oil and butter as well as some rosemary and thyme and placed them down on the counter. I had seen the cooks use these before while preparing meals, so I figured they were a safe bet. I stared at the paprika and hot sauce off to the side before shrugging and grabbing them as well. My only issue was that I had no idea what measurements to use. I guess I'll just have to wing it. I made quick work gutting the pig before slicing it into decently thin strips. I think the chefs cook the pork in oil first? I'm not sure.

I poured a large amount of oil into a pan and hoped for the best, letting the pork strips turn a golden-brown on both sides. I then melted some butter and put the rosemary and thyme into the pan, covering it with a lid and allowing it to steam together. Once the other ingredients dissolved, I put a generous amount of hot sauce and paprika in the pan. In the distance I heard every single applicant fail the exam. Many angry shouts of protests were given in return, but Menchi paid them no mind.

I glanced up and watched as Leorio approached the judging table. His pig seemed charred and dry. A little flag sat on top.

"Tell me how much you love it." He said confidently, one hand resting on his hip.

Menchi threw the plate over the head and screamed, "Is this supposed to be a kids meal?!" I snorted slightly out loud and watched Gon approach next. His plate was decorated in pink flowers with some resting upon his pig as well.

"Okay, mine is next." He said, placing the plate down, just for it to be thrown behind Menchi again.

"It's just like the last one!"

Kurapika approached the table next, "The next entry's mine, ready to be judged."

"Well, finally something that resembles an actual dish." She said, twirling the pass or fail stick in between her fingers.

She took a bite, chewed it, then shouted, "Gross! Presentation is important, but not at the expense of the flavor. You're basically no better than number 403."

"Damn, that's a low blow. No better than that creepy old man?" I mumbled under my breath. Kurapika walked away from the judges' table, head held low.

"Are you gonna go up?" I heard a voice from behind me ask. Sensing who it was before he had approached me, I kept my eyes on the food I was currently plating.