I'm On To You - Chapter 7

Previously

"Oi, Gon! Hurry up and get over here!" I turn my head and see Killua glaring at us as we converse.

"Okay!" Gon then says to me, "Let's go!"

"You want me to come with you? Because I don't think your friend likes me very much."

"Yeah, of course. We're friends now so we're going to go through the exam together. I'm sure he'll warm up to you."

I shrug and follow him over to Killua. He looks kind of annoyed at the fact that I'm there, but I pay no kind to it. I'll make him like me, I'm sure of it. This is the start of a new chapter in my life, and the end of an old one. And I'm going to start my new start by getting two new friends: Gon and Killua.

Present time

"Tch. What is she doing here?" Uhm- rude! I just don't understand why Killua hates me so much. I mean we just met a couple minutes ago! It's not like I've said anything rude either.

"We're friends now so she'll be with us for the rest of the exam." I stood next to Gon as he explained this to Killua. When Killua looked at me again with a scrunched up nose and a face of disapproval, I had to take a deep breath to calm myself. Things could've gotten bloody had I not.

Gon and Killua begin talking about random stuff and I zone out thinking back to the voice that I keep hearing in my head. My sister's voice. Kira always scared me. Her name means dark, which is quite fitting with her personality. She essentially took over for my parents and trained me ruthlessly. A lot of my time with her is a blur. All I can remember is unbearable pain and being unconscious for a good chunk of our time spent together. However, each lesson she has taught me is now permanently engraved in my mind. Whether it be by force and the use of torture to discipline the lessons into me, or it be by the fear of what may come if I don't listen, I will never forget her "rules" that I must follow.

Still, I can't help but be disobedient. I'm afraid of what may happen if she finds out I'm currently breaking several of her disciplinary rules, but I'm tired of living a life of fear. I'm sick of being controlled and manipulated by her and my practically nonexistent family. They don't care for me, so I shouldn't care for them. Right? I was still deep in my thoughts contemplating this topic as Gon said something to me.

"Hm? Sorry I wasn't paying attention."

Killua scoffed, "Of course you weren't."

"Killua, be nicer to Abby." Gon frowned a bit while saying this. Did he really just defend me? I've never had someone do that for me before. It was kinda.. nice?

"Whatever. He asked what you think will happen in the second half of this phase." I thought about the question for a moment before replying.

"Probably more running. Mr. Satoz seems to be really good at it and from what I overheard him say to another applicant, we still have a decent ways to go before we reach the second phase. It's bound to be harder now too in order to weed out more weak applicants." I nodded my head at the end of my explanation, approving of my own thought process.

Killua snorted then said, "You'll probably be the next one weeded out."

Gon tried to hide his laugh and instead let out a quiet snort. I huffed slightly and turned my head the other way mumbling, "You have no idea what I'm capable of."

"Right, well, can't wait to see it. Since you know, you look so strong and all." Killua snickered behind his hand as my face flushed in anger. I grit my teeth and bit my tongue. I'm trying to become friends with him but he's such a brat! If this is what having friends is like, is it even worth my time? The fog began to lift as Mr. Satoz spoke again.