First - Chapter 5

❗️IMPORTANT A/N: Now that we're getting to the experiences I want to start writing in first person so that you readers can see and feel what Abby is going through. I think it will also make the plot and storyline go smoother. I might switch back and forth with the POV some but I'm unsure still so bear with me. Sorry if this inconveniences you and I hope you all enjoy the chapter!!❗️

Previously...

He then spoke, "I apologize for the delay. Thank you for waiting. The entry period for hunter applicants is officially closed. So with no further ado, The Hunter Exam will now begin."

Present time...

"One final word of caution; if you're short on luck or ability keep in mind that there's a very real chance you could end up seriously injured. Death is another distinct possibility." Murmurs appeared around me just as quickly as they disappeared and he continued, "If you're willing to accept the risks involved, I'll ask you to follow me now. But for the rest of you, kindly exit through the elevator located behind you." He pointed towards the elevator as all of the contestants stood, unwavering. The person next to me turned around, sweating nervously. I glanced out of the corner of my eye before returning my gaze towards the man explaining the rules.

"Right then, very well! All four-hundred and four applicants will now participate in phase one!" I watched him turn around and begin walking. He walks kind of weirdly, he swings his arms way too much and almost skips with his legs. I've never seen someone move like that before. People in front of me began following behind him, myself included. Some of the other contestants began to chat amongst themselves. I eavesdropped like always and was taken aback by how enthusiastic they were. I kept to myself like usual. It's not like I have anyone to talk to anyways. I was never allowed to have friends, so why bother making any now?

"Friends make you weak. They bring out your emotions and use them against you. You can never trust anyone." Her voice echoed in my mind. Not many things stuck with me, but the things she said to me did.

The pace began to pick up and I snapped out of my thoughts. Now at a slow jog, our examiner began to speak once again, "How rude of me! I neglected to introduce myself. I am Satoz, your examiner for the first phase of the exam. It's my responsibility to-" I began to tune him out. He was speaking way too much for my liking. I haven't had a good nights sleep in I don't even know how long! Well, now that I think about it I did sleep thirteen hours last night and take a nap when I got here... Either way, I'm bored of all of the introductions. It's making me want to fall asleep again. My ears perked back up when Mr. Satoz began to talk about the first phase.

"The first phase is quite simple. All you need to do is follow me to the second phase, so try to keep up."

"Follow you? So that's it, nothing else?" Some guy a few people ahead of me asked. Is he an idiot or something? Mr. Satoz literally just told him that. Gosh, people can be so stupid!

"That's right. I cannot tell you where or when you must arrive. You need only to follow me."

So this is an endurance test. Luckily for me, that's one of my stronger suits. I've undergone brutal training, so a long run for someone else is a walk in the park for me. I continued on, staying not directly at the front of the pack, but close to it. I drifted to the side as there were less people there and the stench of the main group was becoming unbearable.

"Yuck! Do people not know what deodorant is?" I grumbled while pinching my nose.
__________________________________

It's been hours now and we haven't slowed down or stopped even once. We must've run at least thirty kilometers by now. The tunnel stretched on for what seemed to be an endless span of area. The tunnel was nearly silent except for the tired pants of the other applicants. I wasn't shocked that they were exhausted. Any normal person would've been by now, however, I'm not your average person.