AA V1 Alagore, Chapter 15

Start from the beginning

"That thing is killing us," King said.

"I know," Ryder replied.

Natilite appeared all muddy from dealing with the alg-based monsters. "Maybe I can flank it with one of your explosive projectiles. My speed could get around them."

"There is no way we could cover-."

Everyone heard a loud sound as Ryder spoke before watching an object punch through the Amplifier Walker shield, impacting the large Orb. The walker exploded into white flames as particles spread. The resulting explosion caught all of the enemy infantry by surprise.

"What the hell was that?" Natilite asked.

The Captain's mind only drew a blank until he felt the ground tremble. Turning toward the mountain, he saw an Eaton push through the Hesco bastion, clearing a path for the additional Infantry behind it. According to his IFF, they came from the 1st Battalion, the 3rd ABCT, 4th Infantry Division, the Quick Reaction Force.

Ryder heard some of his teammates cheering and showing relief that heavy reinforcements had arrived. That only meant that Fraeya Holiadon would reactivate the Bridge, making their suffering meaningful.

"What is that?" Natilite asked, taking a step back from the giant bulky vehicle.

Sergeant Burno Barrio turned around as he wrapped his arm around Higgins. "Sweet mother of God, I've never been so happy to see an Eaton.

"That is what you people mean by a tank," Natilite said. "Very different than a Walker."

Ryder watched as four M35 Eaton Main Battle Tanks drove past them, breaking through what remained of the Hesco bastion. They fired their cannons into the enemy crowds, forcing the ones who were not killed by the blast to scatter while the remote machine guns cleared out the ones who were the closest.

The four tanks stopped before the second defensive line, protecting against the enemy while the Americans regrouped.

"Enough celebrating everyone," Barrett said. "Form up and place pressure on them."

Coming through the interior of what remains of the temple, fresh American infantry and Salva Milita rushed toward Comanche and the Ranger's position, reinforcing the second defensive line.

The advancing Aristocracy force stalled from the sudden fire superiority the Americans regained. The enemy was forced to return to the first line of defense from the armor fire and reinforcements. The Eaton tanks stopped halfway between the two lines, absorbing the enemy fire.

Ryder watched as the enemy regrouped, focusing on the new threat. The Aristocracy forces reacted like Natilite, perplexed about countering the heavy armored vehicle with a powerful cannon.

What bothered him was that the enemy was not retreating, only regrouping. This could only mean they were planning something.

Hearing soldiers approaching from behind, Captain Mathew Ryder left their bunker and approached the fresh infantry. He saw them standing, staring toward the enemy and planet above them. All of them absorbed that they were in an alien world—a reaction he could relate to only half a day ago, but right now, they had no time to waste. "Get in the game! I want you all to reinforce the right side."

The head NCO, a Sergeant First Class, took the hint and regained control of his men's force before rushing to defend the temple grounds.

The entire line opened fire on the enemy, picking off anyone not already covered. For the first time in the battle, the momentum started swinging toward the American side, and everyone felt it.