what if I told you I'm a mastermind?

(A/N: Chapter title is an excerpt from the lyrics of the song, "Mastermind" by Taylor Swift from her Midnights album. The chapter is also inspired from the song itself. Intermittent updates will follow through after this chapter as I'm busy with work and have hectic schedules so hopefully you'll have infinite patience to wait for the next chapter. Also, happy birthday to our resident, boy next door MC, Isagi Yoichi! Hopefully there's a birthday art from Nomura-sensei or even a new merch for him in celebration for that. Lastly, I don't own anything from this franchise. Respective ownership belongs to Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Yusuke Nomura for this wonderful manga and Taylor Swift for this beautiful song. Enjoy!)

Once upon a time, the planets and the fates
And all the stars aligned
You and I ended up in the same room
At the same time

"Yoichi, this better be worth it. Getting up at 7AM during the weekends is not exactly the way I want to spend my weekends here in this place." Ness whispered to him in a muffled voice under his mask.

They're sitting inside a train going to Osaka wearing caps, masks, and sunglasses to hide their identity from the public. Being mobbed by the people in broad daylight this Saturday morning was not part of the plan on how they'd want to spend their weekend today.

"Of course it is. Since when I disappointed my loving fiancé hmm?" Isagi whispered back in a teasing voice.

Ness rolled his eyes and just stared straight ahead. It's a good thing that they're wearing these masks and sunglasses not only to hide their image from the public when going out but to also hide away the reactions on their faces.

He knew that Isagi was only acting and probably playing around in calling him pet names and dear words, but it strangely affected him in some way that he couldn't stop the way his heart flipped erratically inside his chest and the way his face would grew warm and be painted with rosy hues every time the male would do that to him.

'I need to get my head out of the gutter before I lose my common sense altogether.' Ness chided himself inwardly.

He just tried to focus on the surroundings around them. The train wasn't packed that day and there were only a few commuters getting in and out at every station. It's a good thing that they left this weekend instead of a normal weekday considering how difficult it was to ride a train riddled with a sea of students and workers rushing to their workplaces or schools during rush hour periods.

The soft lull and tranquil environment inside the train made his senses thrum in a hazy slumber and he couldn't help himself as the motion of the train sent him in a soporific state and let his head fell involuntarily on Yoichi's shoulder with his eyes closed.

And the touch of a hand lit the fuse
Of a chain reaction of countermoves
To assess the equation of you
Checkmate, I couldn't lose

Isagi froze for a moment and his eyes grew wide as saucers when he felt Ness' head on his shoulder.

He didn't know whether to push him away or just let him be now. He could only inwardly pray that the other wasn't aware of how loud his heartbeat was inside his chest.

"Hey..." He tried to call him faintly and glanced at his face.

He didn't know what kind of expression the other male was sporting but he immediately thought that he was asleep as he quickly caught his frame from falling when the train halted at the nearby station and let him rest on his shoulder once again.