family dinner

The soft light filtered in gently inside their bedroom, creeping in and going through the mattress.

The slow, rustling of the sheets made him open his eyes and a small smile inched across his lips as the sight of Kaiser's sleeping figure beside him greeted his eyes.

Ness couldn't help himself as one of his hands had made its way towards his scalp and let his fingertips brush along his short, golden locks which glistened imperceptibly when it was bathed by the warm sunlight from the windows.

Kaiser's face was smoothed down into a peaceful and tranquil one which made him more youthful and pleasing to his eyes, not that he wasn't less any of that when he was awake.

He loved him still whether he was in a deep slumber or not.

As he continued running his hands through his hair, a pair of electric blue eyes met his gaze.

Kaiser was awake now beside him and stared at him with that look on his face which never failed to make his heart skip a beat.

It was in this rare, vulnerable moment that he let his heart speak out before his mind does.

"I love you." He muttered reverently.

He saw from the corner of his eyes that Kaiser's mouth moved and uttered something beside him.

But...

...

He couldn't hear anything from him.

Kaiser was speaking.

Yet, he couldn't hear or recognize the words leaving from his mouth.

A certain dread engulfed his entire being akin to the light that was robbed out of him.

He tried to speak.

But he found that his voice produced nothingness.

Sheer desperation crept inside of him as he tried to speak, mumble, utter or anything that could let his voice out.

Nothing.

He began to tremble in fear and confoundment.

"...Ness? ...Ness?"

A faint but familiar voice reached down below his sleeping consciousness and woke him up from a deep slumber.

A weak groan escaped his lips as he slowly opened his eyes and stared blearily at the concerned face of Isagi hovering over him.

"W-what...?" He asked groggily as he rubbed his eyes with his left hand.

"I was trying to wake you up earlier, but you sleep like a log, so I had to shake you for a bit. It's like you were having an unpleasant dream as you're mumbling something under your breath and you're wriggling slightly on the bed." Isagi replied in a slightly worried voice.

Upon hearing his words, the remaining sleepiness vanished from his system and Ness immediately sat up on the bed with a wince leaving him as a mild headache hit right through him from his sudden action.

"Do you know what I was muttering about?" He asked.

Isagi shrugged. "It's something incoherent that I don't get but don't you worry about your head over it as maybe it was normal if a person is having a nightmare or something. Be careful. Don't suddenly sit up as it can disorient you. Can you make it to dinner tonight?" He asked.

Ness glanced at the clock and found out that it was already 7 in the evening.

Did he oversleep that much earlier?