Chapter 10: Need a Drink

Note: Sorry for the late upload... I had really bad writer's block and a general lack of motivation. Anyways, enjoy!

-

"Ugh..." Kaeya groans in complaint, rolling over on the couch. He regrets succumbing to Adelinde's demands so easily. It's just so hard to tell her no.

"Are you still complaining?" Diluc grumbles from where he sat at his desk, chipping away at the mounds of paperwork stacked in front of him.

"My stomach feels so sick." Kaeya mumbles, draping an arm over his belly.

"Do you need some water?" Diluc asks, his voice seemingly fading from annoyance to concern.

"No... but thanks."

'What I need is some wine.' Kaeya thinks.

"Hm. Alright." Diluc shrugs.

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door.

Diluc sighs. "Come in."

The door pushes open and a gray-haired man enters. "Master Diluc."

"Yes, Elzer?" Diluc replies, eyes glued to his paperwork.

"Why did you let all of the maids go for an early weekend?" Elzer questions, his voice clearly restraining some frustration. "I had to account for every single absence and..." He trails off, his gaze abruptly landing on Kaeya, looking twice as if he was unsure he had seen right.

"Master Kaeya? What... What are you doing here?"

Kaeya lazily waves from where he's curled up on the couch. "Good morning, Elzer."

"He's the reason why I dismissed all of the maids." Diluc spares Kaeya a glance. "Adelinde can explain it to you. I apologize for the complications."

Elzer stares, still visibly confused, but he relents. "I... I see. Well, it's nice to see you again, Master Kaeya."

Kaeya nods. "I was wondering where you were all morning. I guess Diluc had you working to the bone." He chuckles.

Elzer laughs as well. "Well, he certainly can never let this old man catch a break."

Diluc finally looks up from his desk for longer than a second. "You act as if I torture you. Also, don't encourage Kaeya, he says enough nonsense without it."

Elzer shakes his head, still smiling. "No, you treat me well, Master Diluc. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

He steps back towards the door, glancing once more at Kaeya. "I'll leave you two alone then." Swiftly leaving, he shuts the door behind him.

"Why do they both act like that..?" Diluc grumbles, looking back down at his desk.

"Like what?"

"Just... I don't know." Diluc mutters, tapping his pen against the wood. "They both said the same thing..."

Kaeya hums. It is true. Adelinde had left Kaeya here earlier with a "I'll leave you two alone" instead of doting on him more like he had expected.

Though, his stomach is a bit glad she didn't.

"Well, I can't blame them. They're the only ones who... well, you know what they know." Kaeya tiptoes around the topic as he rolls onto his back.

"..." Diluc says nothing in return, hunching so deeply over his desk you'd think he has scoliosis.

Their agreement is made in silence.