Chapter 4: We're Hopeless

'Is this really the best way to go about it?'

A thought crosses Diluc's mind as he makes his way through the canyon north of the winery and towards Springvale. There were reports of a group of treasure hoarders blocking the path and robbing carriages.

He decides it's better to take action first than wait for the knights to take their sweet time.

But that's not necessarily what he's thinking about at the moment.

Diluc is mentally occupied by some last-minute panic about everything he has done up until now in his attempt to patch things up with Kaeya.

It's not like he's been confident about it at all, he just doesn't know how else to go about it.

But since this morning, Diluc has been terribly anxious about it. He still has not decided on what he should say to Kaeya.

He sighs as if he has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

It sure feels like it to him at least because if he messes this up, there's no chance he and Kaeya can go back to how they used to be.

—Or maybe he's being dramatic.

Diluc's thoughts are interrupted when he notices a carriage in the distance surrounded by treasure hoarders.

'Must be them.' He thinks.

He begins making his way over, but as soon as he hears a cry for help, his heart jumps and breaks into a sprint toward the carriage.

Summoning his claymore, he shouts out. "Hey!"

The treasure hoarders startle and look up at him, a couple of them stopped in their tracks as they were restraining the carriage owner.

There are only about four of them, so it's hardly even a challenge for Diluc.

The entirety of his blade ignites in a billowing flame as he flicks it effortlessly at the two near the victim as a warning shot, letting the flames singe their clothes.

"Shit!" The female treasure hoarder curses. "It's the fucking Ragnvindr kid!"

"So what? He's just some pampered nepotism baby!" One man on the other side of the carriage came around in a defensive position.

Diluc kicks the woman down to the ground hard and grabs the man adjacent to her by the collar, causing him to thrash. He looks to his side at the man who retorted arrogantly.

"Leave now. I don't tolerate people like you near my winery." He warns with a gruff voice.

"I'm not risking my life for some Mora. I'm out." The woman quips before she takes off, leaving the rest of her companions in the dust.

"What!? You—"

Diluc tosses the man he was holding to the ground and points to others.

"One last warning. Leave and never come back, lest you want to either lose an arm or your life."

The other two treasure hoarders don't bother to hesitate and run after their other partner in crime, but the stubborn man stays in place, clearly too prideful to admit he should back down.

"As if! I'm not scared of you, kid!" The large man swings his shovel half-wittedly, making it easy for Diluc to dodge. The carriage rider has backed up at this point, arms still tied behind his back.

Diluc makes sure he's a decent distance away from him, trying to avoid any unintentional casualties. Pyro is not something that's easy to control compared to other elements—he knows from experience.