Chapter 6: A Memory

The harsh sounds of torrential rain filled the senses of everyone inside the winery.

The dark gray clouds outside thundered as there was no clear end in sight to the unexpected storm.

A young boy in blue pajamas stared out the window, anxiously waiting. He could see the rain nearly flood the vineyard, creating small creeks between each row of grapes.

He looked behind him, his brow furrowed.

"Addy, when is he getting back?" Diluc worriedly asked. It's been an hour longer than when his father had told him he would be home.

The young maid ran her fingers through his hair softly. "I'm sure he's just held up because of the storm. I imagine it's hard to ride a carriage through this, don't you think so?"

Diluc pouted and turned back, gazing solemnly out the window. "I guess so..."

He leaned with his arms crossed against the windowsill and sighed.

.

.

.

Diluc didn't even realize he fell asleep on the couch.

He heard the sounds of the rain still battering against the windows, having not let up at all during his unexpected nap.

For a moment, he wasn't sure what woke him up until he heard voices whispering in the room.

He pretended to still be asleep, listening in.

"What are we going to..."

"I don't know... all alone out.... I couldn't..."

Diluc couldn't hear some parts...

He cracked an eye open, peeking through his eyelids to try and see where the voices were coming from, and spotted the glow of a lantern from the middle of the room.

"We'll at least house them until..."

It must have been because of his sleepiness, but he belatedly realized that he recognized that voice.

Diluc sat up, his tiredness quickly dissipating as he realized who it was.

"Papa!" He tossed the blanket off of him and rolled off the couch, making his way over to the light.

"Oh my, young Master–" Adelinde spoke, clearly startled.

Diluc tries to embrace his father in a rushed hug, but he's unexpectedly brought to a halt when his chest smacks into his spread palm.

"Diluc, be careful." Crepus sighed as he looked down at him.

Diluc goggled at him in confusion. His father has never rejected one of his hug attacks before...

"Papa, what's wrong?" The boy gripped Crepus's sleeve in worry.

"I'm sorry, I'm in a very unexpected predicament here... I didn't expect you to wake up..."

Crepus seemed to have his free hand rested against his side but the position was awkward, as if his arm was hovering over his hip rather than touching it.

"What's the pred— predecemen..." Diluc stuttered the word out, not knowing how to say it.

Crepus snuck a glance at Adelinde before looking back at Diluc.

Adelinde crouched, putting a hand on her knee as she held the lantern, looking into Diluc's eyes with an expression he rarely ever saw.

"Just... be very calm, okay? We don't want you startling them..."