ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 60

꧁✧✧✧꧂

꧁✧✧✧꧂

𝕿he Marauders were late to their last feast.

In fact, the absence didn't stop at the infamous four, spreading to the celebrity girl trio of the Gryffindor tower also.

Regulus doesn't feel a single ounce of surprise that they believe themselves to be so damn important the school, the world will be put on hold until they decide to grace them with their presence. No, Regulus isn't surprised, a strong contradiction to the tempestuous girl glancing to the grand oak doors every third second.

At the very least they could have forewarned her for the first five, ten, fifteen minutes of the special occasion, a huge, conspicuous emptiness would encircle her being. Sticking her out like a sore thumb.

"You do possess a fondness for glowering at these type of things, don't you?" Evan chirps on his left, agreeing completely to Barty's snicker,

"He possesses a fondness for glowering full stop"

An irritable grunt rumbles from the dark depths of Regulus' chest, disregarding his friends attempts to be funny. When the fifth year who made the wise, wise move to choose the seat across from the boy known for darkly brooding, shifts and blocks his view, he ends up on the receiving end of the glowers too. Cheeks reddening to an impressive degree, he scoots further down the bench, opening up a space for a clear view.

Evan didn't have to chase his friend's gaze to know who's deemed the centre of attention. It's not changed for months on end now. If Romie Lupin's present in a room, it's a one hundred percent guarantee pale eyes the colour of liquid mercury will be locked on her.

Shoving aside the soggy carrots on his plate, he reminds, "She's done with you, Reg"

The glower, worsened immensely, pins to him next, pursing his lips into a thin line. Perhaps he should have rephrased that better, admittedly word choosing has never been one of his strong suits. His mother is adamant in her belief that, for someone who's fairly academically intelligent, Evan lacks in the general ability to think before he speaks.

"You don't need anybody but yourself" Barty recalls promisingly, clapping him on the shoulder.

Regulus knows his intentions are pure, that he's only trying to make him feel better but unlike the beginning of the year when the words of wisdom originally had been spoken, Regulus has now had a taste of what it's like to have someone. Someone to hold, curl up against when the nighttime loneliness creeps in. Someone's to laugh with, smile with. Someone to make the journey of life in this unfair, slanted world a step up from bearable. Quite nice.

And having it, having that taste of someone and losing it is much, much worse than never having it all, he thinks. Because he knows, understands perfectly what he's lost. Not just Romie, a whole collection of infernal yet warm, caring, accepting people. People to call family. Instead of joining them, going home, he's returning to the house of horrors.