Prologue

Having a crush on your best friend sucks.

Trust me, I would know.

But do you know what's worse than having a crush on your best friend? Having a crush on your guy best friend when you were also a guy. Especially when that guy was known to all who graced the halls of Hamilton High School as the notorious Playboy.

I simply knew him as Nick.

Nick Sommers.

The guy who shared his original flavored Oreos with me in the first grade because my mom had forgotten to pack me any lunch that day. We have been thick as thieves ever since—well, as thick as thieves can be when one of them has a gargantuan crush on the other.

How did I come to the conclusion that I had a big fat crush on him?

Well, it started with a pesky little emotion called Jealousy and an even more pesky girl named Sally—or as I liked to call her, Sally Ho.

If I remembered correctly, it was on a Saturday afternoon in the early days of last summer when Nick and I were on our way to the mall. I had assumed, back then, that we were going to the mall that day to hang out at the arcade, alone. As in, just the two of us.

That was my mistake.

Because waiting outside of the arcade was unfairly gorgeous and brunette Sally Ho, along with her strawberry-blonde friend whose name I can't remember—let's just call her chatty Cathy.

I initially thought I was just annoyed that he had set us up on a double date—and, don't get me wrong, I was mad about that—but I came to realise that I was jealous.

I was jealous of the way he smiled at her—revealing those devilish dimples.

I was jealous of the way he tucked her wavy hair behind her ear and traced the lining of her jaw.

I was jealous of the way he whispered something in her ear, causing her to blush.

And while chatty Cathy was ranting on about how she has five horses, all of which were named after the five main characters of Scooby Doo, I could not keep my eyes off of them as they smiled.

And laughed.

And flirted.

And held each other's hands. (With interlaced fingers)

Then they kissed.

And my heart sank.

That's when I knew that I was into him.

That I was into Nick Sommers.

As in, more than a friend.

But he wasn't into me.

He was into girls.

And I am not a girl.