Storms brewing

Looking at the wrinkled paper held between his hands, he resisted the urge to crush it in his fingers. The big 0 marked in blaring red at the top contrasted greatly with the yellowing white of the parchment. As if announcing his failure to the world.

He thought he'd done well on this test. Thought he'd at least gotten a passing grade. It seems like most things in his life, he was wrong. One more thing to add to the long list of things he couldn't comprehend.

Rocking slightly so as to stop the swing's back and forth, he steadied himself with the rope as a shadow fell over his perch. He didn't look up though, giving them any kind of glare only served to make things worse. Keeping his head down, he braced himself for the inevitable sneers, jeering and mockery.

"Tangerine?"

The soft word caught him off guard. The first thing that draws his attention when he looks up is the shiny red apple held in between thin fingers. Following the digits up to their owner, he was surprised to see it was the Nara kid. The same one from the park, all those weeks ago. Although, he now knew him as the quiet, lazy kid who sits two rows in front of him in class.

When his mouth failed to fabricate any articulate thoughts, the boy spoke up once more. His voice morphed into a slow drawl as he nudged the apple towards him again.

"Well, it's an apple but you get the sentiment, right?" He could feel his mouth water just looking at it, and he did his best to quell the trembling of his fingers as he finally willed his body to move. Tentatively reaching for it, hesitant to believe this wasn't just some cruel elaborate joke his classmates were pulling on him once again.

However, to his rising surprise, the fruit was not maliciously snatched away from him, and he soon found himself with a handful of shinny goodness. Remembering their first interaction, he wasted no time putting in the strengths in order to cut the treat in half. Offering it to the Nara with a small none-smile. "T-Tangerine?" He joked hesitantly, sensing his shoulders hunch in on themselves as he outstretched half of the offering back to its previous owner, feeling more than a little silly.

The Nara's response was to plop down onto the dirt, and bite into it lazily. He could feel some of his earlier gloominess start to lift the longer they ate in peaceful company.

That was until the boy chose to break the silence.

"How come you never went back to the park?"

"A-ah..." He fumbled for an explanation, one that didn't involve him getting beaten half to death in an alleyway. "I wasn't feeling all that well."

The boy hummed, eyes narrowing slightly but seemingly content to let the matter go. For now. "So, why do you still have the test? Sensei gave it back to us hours ago."

"Oh, I was just trying to figure out what I did wrong." He admitted softly, feeling his grip tighten around the rumpled paper.

"Want me to take a look?" The boy offered, straightening his posture a little.

Looking down at the Nara, he did his best to hide his skepticism. Wasn't he the one that got a barely passing grade? A perfect 50?

He figured it was still way better than he did. "Sure, if you don't mind. Just-"He faltered. "Just don't laugh, alright?"

Hearing the rustle of paper and the feeling of emptiness in his grip, he did his best to keep himself distracted. Avoid looking at the grimace that was surely etching itself onto the Nara's features the longer he looked at the abomination he called a test.

When the silence seemed to stretch, he started wishing for the bell to ring and relieve him of the impending humiliation.

However, the boy did not laugh at him, nor did he mock him for his idiocy. Instead, the dark haired clan heir levelled him with an entirely out of character stare. Eyes dark and serious as they regarded him, a new glint in his gaze.