Just as I was about to drown in my anxiety, Holly Dae's voice cut through the haze of my thoughts. "And does this thing on your mind start with the letter C?"

"No," I blurted out a bit too quickly. "I mean, kind of. But honestly, I've just been really stressed out."

Holly Dae, seated opposite me, furrowed her brows in concern. "I know what you mean. With exams, holiday shopping, and family stuff, it feels like time's just slipping away."

"Yeah," I said. "We'll just have to make the most of what's left. Hey, speaking of, have you thought about college at all?"

Holly Dae flicked through her book, shaking her head. "You know me, I try not to think too far ahead. But lately, I've been toying with this idea..." She paused, smiling. "Try not to judge."

"I never do. Spill."

"Well, I've been talking to Conner about it, and we're thinking of opening up a tattoo shop together."

"A tattoo shop? That's awesome!"

"Yeah, I know, right?" Holly Dae grinned, flashing her braces at me. "It's still just an idea for now, but it's something."

I nodded, genuinely impressed by her ambition. Holly Dae had always been the type to figure things out at the last minute, whereas I was the complete opposite. I overthink every decision until it makes me sick to my stomach.

"That's so cool. I'm really happy you're figuring things out."

"Thanks, Max," she said, her smile widening. "It's nice to have someone believe in me. My mom spat her drink out at the idea."

I burst into laughter. Holly Dae then said, "What about you? Still thinking about running away?"

I shook my head. "It's not running away. It's... wanting to pursue my dreams."

"Have you told your dad you're applying for out-of-state colleges?"

"It's not a college, it's an art school. And I'm waiting to hear back before I tell him. I can't put all my eggs in one basket, y'know."

Holly Dae nudged my foot under the table. "Come on, you'll totally get a response back. You're crazy talented."

"Thanks, but I don't know." I chewed on my pen, trying not to show how much this meant to me. How much my entire life depended on this decision. "I mean, I'm probably up against a bunch of rich snobs who can buy their way in."

Holly Dae fell silent for a moment, closing her book with a decisive snap. She grinned at me from across the table. "I know what can cheer you up."

"A million dollars?"

"Hah, I wish! But listen, Connor's brother, Daniel, is throwing an end-of-semester bash. It's the perfect way to blow off steam after exams. Plus, you've been in a funk for ages, and I know it's not just because of school. We need one last hurrah after the chaos of mid-terms, college applications, and—"

"Okay, okay. So when's the party?" Holly Dae had a point. I was itching to forget about my problems, even if just for a little while.

Her grin stretched wider. "It's this Friday. And it's Christmas-themed."

I let out a snort of laughter. "Well, don't expect me to show up in festive wear."

"Why not?" Her hazel eyes widened. "I've already bought us matching candy cane skirts."