5. Megha

I heard my phone ring somewhere in the room

Where did I keep it now? If that was Ishika, she would kill me.

It was Agastya.

"Are we casually calling each other now?" I whispered to myself.

Pick up and get to know yourself.

"Hello?"

Damn! His voice sounded really husky on the phone.

"Hello? Hi." I almost lost my voice.

"Why were you not picking up? Everything okay?" He spoke.

"Yeah! I was just in another room. Sorry."

Ishika was so right when she said this stupid thing could get me in trouble.

"My teammates, uh, want a party. And, it would be better if it's today cause most of them have their postings somewhere else from tomorrow." He said, hesitation clearly audible in his voice.

"That's okay."

Are we going to party at some nice place? Or are we hosting it? How to ask without sounding rude?

"No, I mean, would you be okay with it?" Before I could ask anything, I heard him on the phone.

"Of course! I will cook. For how many?"

"It would be eleven of us eating today at home. And no, you don't have to cook."

Wait, why? I am a good cook. Plus these people stay away from their families, they would love some homemade food.

"But I would be happy to cook something for you all."

"Some other day, Megha. I'll get some tandoori roti, paneer, and biryani."

Why does his every statement sound like an order?

"At least let me cook the paneer." I countered. In no way we were hosting a party and not serving some homemade food, especially when some of them would be posted at different places.

"No."

"I am cooking the paneer. Period." If he wanted to argue, I was not going to back out.

"Also, um, get the biryani from Ghazi traders. They have really good food." I added.

"They are all vegetarians."

Damn! I wish I would have asked about their preferences.

"Oh! Never mind, then."

"Should I get you some?"

That was sweet.

But I can't eat. Not today.

"Oh! No. Please no. And it's Thursday nonetheless. So..."

"Okay, then. I will see you around five."

I looked at the clock. It was three-thirty. If I began to prepare food by five-thirty, It would be ready by six-thirty max. And around half an hour for me to get ready.