4. Agastya

"Congratulations, I guess

"Congratulations, I guess." She whispered as she put the garland around my neck.

"To you too."

And I think I smiled at her. Something I did very scarcely. She just looked...ethereal in that saree. Her hair was clad in a bun. Simple yet just so elegant. I was glad I gave into Sid's stubbornness and wore a kurta. He was having the time of his life, teasing me and pulling my leg at every opportunity he got.

I guess Aniruddh, my friend, was the only one who didn't know about the whole thing. Still, all of them looked happy, really happy. That gave me some peace. When the small celebration died, they all stood there, wondering what to do next.

I told Megha, my now wife, that we should head home. She agreed and Sid offered to get her bags. I told her to wait near the office as I quickly went to get my bike. I considered renting a car for the day, but then again, we decided to keep it minimal.

"Will you be okay with this?"

She was rather in awe of the vehicle. But she did seem in a dilemma. She then placed a hand on my shoulder and sat on one side of the bike. She shifted a bit more and that's when I really felt the presence of someone else on the vehicle.

She needs to eat a lot more.

"Yeah! We can go." She spoke as she removed both her hands from my shoulder. I couldn't help but think about what she told me near the lake a couple of days ago. I don't know why she was overthinking so much about everything. Why was she averted from the idea of love or companionship? She should just take one day at a time.

A cool breeze hit me, and that's when I realized that the sun was almost setting. I deliberately took the longer route home. By now, I think she was comfortable too. Her hand rested on my shoulder and her other one brushed against my back occasionally.

She must be holding onto her pallu.

Luckily, the weather was lovely with less traffic. I wanted to get her a little something, but the way she tried to shut me and herself down that day, I didn't.

Can't be too intrusive, you know.

Then we finally reached home. The mere sight gave me a sense of pride. I was glad I found a decent place. Though now, I wish it were a bit bigger.

"It's not much of a place at the moment." I found myself saying after I parked and we walked together.

"Don't be too modest. It looks good on the outside." She gave me a small smile.

Just as we were about to enter after removing our respective shoes, Ishika and Sid showed up.

"Meghu, please be like Messi and kick this Kalash." Ishika chirped. "And then honour this handkerchief with your footprints."

I didn't know when the two of them teamed up, but I was kinda glad they did. She had this small smile on her face as she gently touched the copper vessel with her foot. She then ushered me to walk with her, and we both took the first step together.