Behind Closed Doors

Start from the beginning

"All I'm trying to say is that it's good for a boy to have some friends. I had lots of friends when I was your age. Remember, Rudy? I was even the homecoming queen my senior year!" Mary leaned back in her chair. "Everyone used to love me. Why don't they love me like that anymore?"

"I can't imagine, Mom."

Wally hadn't meant to say it out loud. Or, at least, not let it sound like that. He also DEFINITELY hadn't meant to add in the little condescending eye roll at the end. He doesn't even know why he did.  He wondered if it was a speedster thing. To rush headfirst into danger, without once thinking of the consequences.  No, it was probably only a problem exclusive to him. When Uncle Barry runs into danger, he's called a hero. When Wally accidentally runs his mouth, he ends up on the floor.

"Rudolph, stop! He gets it already!"

Wally could hear his mom's screaming, but for some reason it sounded so far away. Not like his dad's yelling. That sounded like it was right in his ear.

"You little smart ass! How dare you speak to your mother like that! After all she does for you!"

His dad was right, of course, and Wally made sure to deeply apologize to his mom before taking what was left of his dinner up to his room. She hummed in acceptance, and pointedly looked away from him and into her glass. His father, however, glared at him the entire time. As if daring him to cause even more trouble by using his super speed.  Jokes on Rudolph, Wally didn't have the energy to run.

Wally tried to focus on eating once he reached his room, as food was the most effective way to trigger his speed healing.  Unfortunately, he could already tell that it wasn't going to be enough. There was also no way he would be able to get another portion of dinner tonight.  It would be alright though. He could just wear long sleeves tomorrow.

He sometimes wondered if the true heroes of the world were whoever it was that made wearing extra layers trendy.  No one ever seemed to question why Wally wore so many shirts and jackets on top of each other, no matter the weather.  Even in gym class, he managed to get away with a lot due to the current rules of teen fashion.  That, plus having a very unobservant school staff, meant Wally's injuries, whether from hero work or...other means, were quite easy to cover up.

Wally winced at the sound of breaking glass and shouting. The turmoil downstairs had yet to subside. He considered going back down there, to try and help Mary settle Rudolph down, but Wally found himself stuck standing behind the door to his room. His bedroom was, for lack of a better word, safe. Safe from evil villains hellbent on destroying the world, safe from dark vigilantes with unknown motives, safe from his—

Point was, Wally was too much of a coward to face the world. So, like the coward he was, Wally locked the door.  He then tucked himself in underneath his comforter like he was four years old again and pretended to go to sleep. He couldn't hear anything bad if he was asleep. 

His phone buzzed at some point. A final message from Nightwing showed a goofy picture of the Flash from some low budget cartoon with the words "Gotta run!"

Wally wondered whether or not he should do the same one day.  If he ever could

***
By the next morning, the worst of Wally's bruising had gone the way of Rudolph's temper.  The intensity had long faded, but the marks still lingered lightly on the surface.  His arms itched slightly as he pulled at his sleeves.  The tell tale sign of healing.

His dad was quiet as Wally joined him at the table with a bowl of cereal.  Wally cautiously took a few small bites, fighting the urge to just pick up the bowl and drink the whole thing in one swallow.  However, the promise of instantly curing the ache in his stomach wasn't worth it.  His dad hated poor table manners.  So, Wally finished his food at the speed a normal teenager would.  Even if that meant he was already hungry again immediately afterwards.

Rudolph hadn't moved yet, continuing to stare at his newspaper without even acknowledging Wally's presence.  The occasional snap of him changing pages was the only indication that he hadn't been replaced with some sort of life sized Rudolph West statue.  He didn't even reach for his coffee mug, which must have surely gone cold by now.

Wally decided to go ahead and take the risk.  He slowly began to make himself another bowl of cereal.  However, before he went to pour the milk, Wally realized what was missing.  Or, rather who was missing.

"Where's Mom?"

"She's staying with your aunt for a few days."

"Aunt Iris?"

Rudolph finally looked up from his newspaper.  Wally fought the urge to run and hide.

"Her sister.  The one that lives in Jump City."

Oh...

Oh...

Oh shit!