008 | Painless Death

〰

Elodie picked at a piece of bacon on her plate, turning it over with her fork as she contemplated taking a bite. She wasn't particularly hungry. She wasn't used to eating with a bunch of people around a table, like a normal family. Back home, everyone would eat whenever they wanted. Her mother cooked the food, and then you had two hours tops to eat it before it was thrown out. So, they had never sat around a table with the three of them, eating dinner like a happy family.

It felt strange to do so now, without her mother and Jamie there. They should have been. They shouldn't have died, they should have been sitting right there next to Elodie, enjoying the food.

But they weren't. They were dead.

She looked up from her bacon, glancing around the table. Everyone was eating their food like everything was okay. Like they didn't just loose half of their group. Like Amy, Jamie, Jim, Ed, and so many others weren't dead.

The only one who wasn't happily eating his food, was Glenn. He had his arm propped on the table, palm pressed against his forehead as he occassionally let out a groan. Elodie knew it was because of the alcohol last night. Everyone seemed to be able to manage the hangover, except Glenn. Maybe he should stop drinking alcohol.

"Elodie," Lori's voice came from beside her, followed by a sweet hand on her knee. "Everything okay? You haven't touched your food."

"I'm touchin' it," the girl muttered, pointing at her fork that was picking at the bacon. Lori tilted her head with a knowing look, prompting Elodie to sigh and set her fork down. "Not hungry."

"You gotta eat somethin," Lori said, brows furrowed in worry. "T-dog's makin' some eggs. You think you can try some of those?"

Elodie shook her head. She never ate eggs in the morning because they made her feel sick. Any other time of day, she'd happily eat eggs, just not in the morning.

"How about some crackers?" Lori suggested, sliding a packet of crackers toward Elodie with a smile.

"'Kay," Elodie mumbled, accepting the crackers from Lori. She opened the packet and took out a cracker, cautiously nibbling on it. Instantly, she regretted her decision as the dryness of the cracker coated her mouth. Despite this, she continued eating, not wanting Lori to go out of her way to find something else for her.

"Mornin'," Rick greeted as he sat down at the table.

"Are you hungover?" Carl immediately asked. "Mom said you'd be."

Rick chuckled, and Lori grinned as she chewed on her bacon. "Mom is right."

"Mom has that annoying habit," Lori quipped, shooting a glance toward Elodie. Elodie had set her crackers down on her plate, having only managed to eat two of them.