👓8👓

Keon's POV:

I keep my eyes trained on Stephanie as she walks out of the library and take a deep breath. Being so close to someone so perfect, yet so insufferable might not be as simple as I thought and for a moment I consider cancelling our sessions and putting us both out of our misery. I toy with the idea for a while before shaking my head.

I know that I can't quit tutoring Steph, not now, not when I stand to lose.

I pick up the advanced physics book by my side and quickly open up to the chapter where I last stopped, skimming through it and repeating the words to myself, but all I can think of is flaming red hair, and brown eyes with the slight glimpse of a neck tattoo.

I shut the book in exasperation. There is no chance of me getting anymore work done, not here at least. I get up, placing the book back on the shelf before making the last rounds to ensure that the books are arranged properly and in alphabetical order, ready for the next day. Then I pack my bag, my hand lingering on the book that Stephanie was using.

What exactly is wrong with me?

I walk out of the library, locking the door with my key before going to the parking lot. Our car is gone, as I expected... Quinn took it to go home because I told her that I would be staying late and I don't like her taking the bus. I don't like taking the bus either – too much dirt and I do not trust the lack of organization of the bus timetables.I prefer to walk - it is scientifically proven to be the healthiest way to get anywhere. Besides I had put into consideration that I might need to clear my head after my tutoring session with Stephanie.

👓👓👓

It comes as an unpleasant surprise as I approach the house to see two cars parked in the driveway. The first one is obviously Stephanie's so the second one is probably for Kayla.

Which means that at this very moment, they are in our house.

I groan as I fish out my key to unlock the door, before entering into the empty sitting room. They must not have spent very much time here as everything is in place, not a thing out of order – trust me, I would have noticed.

Which means that they must be upstairs, probably in Quinn's room.

Quickly, I scan the room one more time, adjusting a cushion which my mom must have dislodged before she left for work, before I move on satisfied, heading up the rug covered stairs with slow heavy steps. As I reach the top of the balcony, the aroma of a pizza steals its way towards me. I feel my stomach clench. I've never really been a fan of pizza, preferring to go for meals that have a higher nutritional value and do not require you to eat with your hands. It can be quite unhygienic.

Laughter comes from Quinn's room, and I can hear Stephanie's voice ringing out clearly as she begins to launch into some sort of conversation. I can't hear her words exactly, but I can tell from the tone of her voice that she is frustrated.

I make my way closer to the door, intending to check up on Quinn, but I pause as I hear my name. Now I know a lot of people would consider it poor manners to listen to eavesdrop on someone's conversation, but try being in a position where you get to hear what one of the hottest girls at school thinks about you and trust me you'll do the same thing I did.

"Surely Keon wasn't that bad", I hear Kayla's voice.

"Oh please you don't know the half of it. Keon's horrible and so damn judgmental too. He's got some stick up his posterior or something", she adds in a mock British accent, a supposed impersonation of my voice.

Kayla bursts into laughter. Quin says something in her quiet voice which I can't catch to which Stephanie responds, "Well yeah, but being smart or hot isn't as excuse to act like a jerk"