👓5👓

Keon's POV:

The two days weekend passes normally, practically uneventful, with exception of the meeting that I was required to attend with my dad who happened to pass though America briefly. Even though it is a rare occurrence for him to be in America, I still had my concerns about why my presence was required at such an important meeting. However, the longer I remained in the meeting, the clearer my role became to me. It isn't often that I get the opportunity to do something remotely helpful or of any significance to my father's life, but now the occasion has presented itself.

The question is, will I do it?

The school bell rings, symbolizing the start of the school say and startling me out of my reverie. As usual, I arrived in school early today in order to get a few minutes alone in the library. Usually, I stay here for most of the school days – the teachers already know that I have my own style of studying and they respect it since I am doing exceptionally brilliantly in my academic life. Also, my mother put in a good word for me with a promise that I would excel with my chosen style of learning.

So far, she has been correct.

I get up from the seat where I normally sit and return the advanced astrophysics book back in the exact location where I found it. Although the librarian Mrs Sarah has told me I don't need to, I still spend ten minutes every morning arranging the books in the physics section alphabetically. I cannot stand seeing them in any form of disarray.

I leave the library, and head to my locker to get some books out. Even though I study by myself, I still follow the school timetable and right now, the first period is calculus.

As I walk to the locker I spot Aaron coming out of the arts class with Kayla and walking towards me. Aaron gives me a quick grin while Kayla offers me a brighter smile.

"Hi Keon", Kayla waves and I give her a little nod before turning over to glare at Aaron.

"You were supposed to meet me in the library", I point out.

Immediately Aaron's expression turns from jovial to slightly ashamed, and I instantly recognize the look. He forgot.

"Keon... I know we were supposed to meet but...", he trails off as he searches for the right word.

"It's just that you forgot", I complete.

Aaron turns red, and I shake my head, and sigh.

"Aaron I do understand that you are not under as much pressure to study as you were before with your admission and your parents being more understanding but I do wish you found it necessary to inform me when you decide to miss out on our premade plans."

The thing is that I am not hurt, I am just being factual. While I do wish he had not decided to skip our study session, I understand that he now has someone else to devote his time to. And on the positive side, Kayla is much better than Aaron's last girlfriend, Alicia. At least Kayla has an interest to learn and is actually a compassionate human being, even though I do want to tell her to adjust her school uniform because it isn't tidy or organized. Alicia on the other hand was just a nightmare to be around, both for me and Aaron. I admit, I was a bit skeptical of Kayla at first because I wasn't eager to watch Aaron be in another toxic relationship, but Kayla proved that she in fact did care about him.

And that's enough for me.

I look to Aaron who is still looking apologetic and I shrug. "It's okay that you were unable to meet up with me in the library but it is understandable." I pass Kayla a soft glance and she smiles and nods.

As long as Aaron is in good hands, I am okay, and I don't see Kayla letting him slip up, at least not academically. She has even asked him for extra tutoring and improved on her grades. However, she is still often getting into trouble but luckily, he is almost never involved.