👓2👓

Keon's POV:

I am in the library sitting opposite Aaron and reading a book on advanced astronomy when the bell rings.

All too soon, the school day is over, which I believe is a pity since I actually find the day quite interesting.

Aaron groans opposite me, breaking my concentration. I glance over the top of my book to find him already looking at me.

"We are in a library you know", I say, even though the library is practically empty. Not a lot of people spend their last period in a library which is why last period is the ideal time for me to come to stay – it's quieter and there are fewer annoying people around.

"Look we are the only one's here so maybe we can speak louder", Aaron suggests, but I fix him with a stern shake of my head as I return my concentration back to the book in front of me.

"You know, you're more of a stickler for the rules than I am", he mutters under his breath. "I don't know why Kyala calls me rulebook when you're the real rulebook around here"

I roll my eyes and open my mouth to make a sarcastic remark when the door goes flying open and Kayla runs into the library, her loud footsteps seemingly unwelcome in the room's quiet. She flings her arms around Aaron who kisses her, and I make an effort to aver my eyes. Hey, I'm no prude but I believe some things should be done behind closed doors.

I find my eyes wandering to the door in search of a red-haired figure, but the doorway stands cold and empty.

"Looking for someone?", Kayla asks, and I realize that I've been staring at the empty doorway long enough for them to detach themselves from each other.

I turn my eyes back to them. "I was simply waiting for you to conclude your lovers' reunion, and in the process, I looked at the doorway to see if my sister was with you."

The lie slips off my tongue easily. As much as I love my sister, she was the last person on my mind as I stared at the door.

Hello Stephanie.

I watched for a moment as she turned red before she seemed to collect herself and fixed me with a gaze from her honey-brown eyes.

"Keon baby", she cooed.

I made a conscious effort not to reply.

Anger and another emotion drifts through me as I vividly recall the brief encounter I had with her earlier today.

I can vividly recall every encounter I've had with her, and while that in itself is not something significant – after all I have a very detailed memory – the fact that she hasn't been able to leave my mind since the first day we met is interesting.

No not interesting. Exasperating.

"I'm going to head home now", I announce, pushing my chair back and standing up. My books are already neatly arranged in alphabetical order in my bag which is slung over the left side of my chair. I pick it up and sling it over my left shoulder. I take of my glasses polishing them with a cloth in my pocket which I keep specially for that purpose before replacing them back on my nose.

"Do you know where Quinn is?", I query, as I face Kayla who is perched on Aaron's lap.

"Oh, she already left. Steph was going home, and offered to drop Quinn off."

And there she was again, her name turning up like a bad penny. Try as hard as I did, I just could not seem to be able to avoid her.

"Well then, I'll be on my way"