22 - Red Cape

A/N: This is what I imagine the cape to look like on Madeline

Demetrius' POV

Nightfall came quick and my men joined us by the time the first star lit up the sky. I'd given them the opportunity to meet Madeline, from a distance with my hand secured to her wrist but it was necessary, the moment they reached me they couldn't take their eyes off of her, I don't really blame them.

I watched by the fire while Madeline sat across from me, between Calla and Elowen talking her heart away, she had the attention of a few troops and leaders as well while she talked. She looked adorable under the light of the fire.

I'd caught up with Calla already about the plan, what our next move was after tonight and what our leads currently were. The serpent Kingdom no longer wanted to help us, and quite frankly I didn't want them to be here either. I think I'd rip one of those fishy freaks apart if I ever saw them again, especially after what's happened to my mate.

"Can I ask, why is she wearing the cape?" Zaros asked me, coming up behind me he lowered his head down behind my shoulder, following my gaze to look at Madeline.

"It's for her own safety." I sighed, finally feeling like I could talk through how I was feeling. My relationship with Zaros felt like a brotherhood, an unlikely brotherhood at that, he'd never let me down and I've never let him down, there was loyalty unlike any other leader I knew.

"From you or from others, big guy." He urged jokingly.

"Both." I chirped rather unenthusiastically. "I've had to fight multiple men for her already, including myself every day."

"Yeah but you like fighting, you get a kick out of knowing you're the big Werewolf King that everyone's scared of." Only then did I notice the tinge of alcohol on his breath. When I didn't respond he gave my shoulder a pat. "Come and get a drink, it sounds like you need one." He offered, I kept my eyes on Madeline. "She'll be okay Demetrius, we're all here for the same reason."

I caved, letting out a huff I got up from the log I'd been sitting on and stepped over it, joining Zaros on the other side as he lead me away from the fire and towards a wooden bench, lined with cups and empty bottles, it seemed like they'd been drinking longer than just tonight.

I let him pour me a cup of some red liquid, it looked like wine but had a murky undertone to it, like dirt. I brought the cup to my lips and swung it back, drinking all the liquid inside in one movement, feeling the familiar burning sensation down my throat, this alcohol was harsh.

Zaros chuckled as he watched me, eyebrows raised in astonishment when I placed my cup back down on the bench. "Go easy on that stuff, it's Ogre ale." He declared, taking a sip from his own cup.

I knew Ogre ale, it was cheaply made but got the work done just like any other alcohol, only this stuff was strong enough to eventually put an Ogre to sleep.

"I can handle my liquor." I argued back, grabbing the bottle of ale once more and pouring myself another cup, taking the opportunity to look back over at the fire in search of Madeline, she was still there.

"Can't say the same for your men." Zaros teased, pointing towards the small group of my men who were cackling away at each other, almost in a state of daze.

"They're not the big Werewolf King." I joked, recanting the comment Zaros had made to me just before. I took a sip from my cup this time around, I needed to keep a wary eye on Madeline in case anything happened tonight, we were sorely unprepared if a threat came.

"Not very big compared to Crog." Added the Ogre king as he joined us at the bench, slamming an empty bottle of ale down while reaching for a new one.

"I'm not sure. Demetrius might stand taller once shifted." Zaros bartered, he made a good point. Crog only being a foot taller than me might not mean much compared to my wolf, I wasn't quite sure how big he was but I knew he stood taller than Madeline even standing on all four legs, but Madeline wasn't the perfect example of height.