Cup Half Full.

As you can imagine, a visit from a goddess caused quite a stir. Being the place it was, the power of the incident had been detected by many of the mages in the academy, and it was only a minute before the first of them arrived, banging on the door and demanding to know what was going on.

I sat there, on my kitchen chair, clutching my book, as a maelstrom of discussion, argument and debate went on around me, as if I were the eye of the storm. Eventually, tired, I was only one and a half remember, I crawled out of the room, unnoticed, and toddled into my own, climbed onto my bunk, and fell asleep.

~*~

The next month I was subject to intensive examination by several professors from the magic department, all the while with my anxious parents standing by next to me, to make sure I wasn't overwhelmed. To be honest, I found in more annoying than anything. The magic incantations they used I couldn't follow yet, especially as I hadn't been left alone enough to experiment with anything. They did use a number of artefacts though, some of them quite powerful judging by the amount of power they were imbued with. Finally, they sent for an expert from a magic university in a land down south, who arrived, I was most impressed to see, on an actual dragon!

"Woah," I said, peering out of the window, down at the courtyard. "Is that a real dragon mother?"

"It is son," Rath put a hand on my shoulder. "They are powerful creatures, but not impossible to beat in battle, if you are prepared."

"Have you defeated a dragon mother?"

"Once, when I was young and strong, and rather foolish. I wanted to show my strength, so I set out to hunt a rogue beast that was preying on livestock in a small town."

"You beat one of those? Really?"

"Yes." Her hand squeezed my shoulder for a second, as she thought of some past memory. "I wasn't totally stupid I suppose. I bought some magical potions with me, and was armed with really good weapons. Plus, I chose an ambush position. Even so, I was lucky not to get killed."

"But you won."

"Yes, I won. It came with a cost though."

I looked up at my tough mother, and saw her eyes, which were unfocussed, looking into the past with a sad expression on her face. She shook herself out of it though, and smiled down at me. "I'm sure you will grow up to be powerful enough to beat one, but if, when you do, please be careful not to place the lives of others in danger."

"Yes mother, I promised."

"Good boy. Oh, that must be the expert. I promise you Theodore, this will be the last one. I'm fed up of them prodding my son like a lab rat."

"Thank you mother," I said. I was also fed up with it.

I watched as the man who had been a passenger on the dragon spoke to a waiting mage, who gestured in our direction. The visitor, who was a tall, thin man with dark hair, and dressed in billowing tan robes, nodded, and the two set off across the yard.

Rath sighed. "Come on, let's go to the living room and wait for them."

"Yes mother." I took her hand and toddled alongside her. Honestly, I wished I could grow up a little faster, being this young was limiting. "Patience," I said to myself. Wishing to grow up faster was something a child really would say.

Eventually the expert was shown into our living room, and to me. He was introduced as specialist research mage Alto.

At first he did what the other professors had done, which was to examine me a little like a doctor from my first world. He took my pulse, listened to my heartbeat through a stethoscope, prodded me here and there, looked at my eyes, in my ears and felt my head.