Negotiations.

Freia's voice faded behind me. I had launched myself into the air, flying much higher than I had ever dared before, over the trees of the orchard, over the wall beyond, and towards the forest.

I slowed down a little as I took my bearings, it looked different from above, but soon found our glade.

I had only been to the village about three or four times in total, and that was on the ground, but I knew the rough direction to head, and so I did, whizzing over the treetops, fear and anxiety driving me onwards.

It was beginning to think I had lost my way, when an explosion ahead, and slightly to the right of me, gave the game away. I adjusted course and flew a little higher, scanning the ground.

As I approached the area of the disturbance, there was a shimmer, and suddenly the goblin village clearing came into view. Someone had dispelled the camouflaging spell that had hidden it. Probably Lissa. Oh, the irony of it.

There was shouting as well now, and I could hear the echo of metal on metal. Was I too late?

There! Between the trees I could see a group of villagers, Rath stood out in her green armour, and Lissa was clearly visible further back, dressed in her white robes, standing with a few others from the temple. There were others in chain mail and leather armour too, holding swords and bows. I couldn't see Hungerford, but no doubt he was there somewhere.

Facing them were a crowd of goblin guards, with their own weapons. To the side I saw the chief, raging and shouting and... yes! By his side stood Gisel, hand on a knife. I was sure it would be one of the poisoned ones.

There was still time, full battle hadn't been joined yet, although one goblin seemed to be nursing an injury.

I dropped down to the smouldering ground in the middle of the factions like a very tiny angel of death.

"Stop!" I screamed. "Stop the fighting!"

"Theo! By the goddess what are you thinking?!" That was Rath. She started run towards me, but I sent a strong, and wide, blast of wind her way, and knocked her back.

"Sorry mother!" I shouted. "But you need to stop. The goblins weren't the ones who attacked the village!"

"Theo!" I turned to see Gisel running up towards me.

"Are you all right?" I asked her.

"What is happening? Did you know about this?" Gisel was holding a dagger in front of her.

"No! I only just found out! Please, put your dagger down, let me talk to my mothers!"

"These are your mothers?" Gisel's father thundered up behind her.

"Theo!" screamed Rath. "Since when can you speak their language? Get away!" She struggled forward again, but I held up my hand, and she paused, possibly expecting another spell.

"Theodore Helmage!" Now Lissa was beside her. "Stop this at once!"

"Please listen to me!" I cried back. My voice was going sore, I would have to figure out some kind of amplification spell if I did this again. "The goblins are not responsible for the attacks! They were even the ones who stopped them before!"

"What are you saying?" Lissa asked, in a slightly calmer voice.

"Please," I pleaded. "Please, can we just pause and hold a parley? You and mother, and the chief and his advisor." I saw Gisel's expression. "And Gisel."

"How do you know these creatures?" Rath asked.

"If we have a parley, I can explain. Please, stop the attack. Pause it at least. Is there a rush?"