Midex

There was applause. Well, clapping. One person clapping.

"That was really cool."

"What?"

I was alive?

No, I was... I was... I don't know what I was.

I tried to open my eyes, but, even though I could see (could I?) I didn't have eyes. (Or did I?) Sitting up was easy, because I didn't have a body either. (Perhaps?) It was hard to tell.

"Welcome!"

The voice from before. I looked(?) around, and saw, sitting in a sea of white nothing, a tall, thin man. Maybe it was a man. The face was somehow out of focus. I was fairly sure he was wearing a white suit though.

"Where am I? What's happening? Yes, yes, I know. That's what everyone asks when they come here." The person stood up and walked over to me. I found out that he was a lot taller than he first appeared, perspective seemed strange here, and he had to bend down, like an adult to a small child, to speak to me further. Shockingly, I could see his eyes. They were golden.

"You're in Midex. Well done, first Being through here in quite a lot of years. Well, if time existed here it would be a lot of years."

"Mid...?"

"Yes Midex. It's the middle of... everywhere, everything, everytime, every dimension, just... Everything. That's with a capital E. Everything there has every been, and ever will be, whenever, wherever and so on and so forth. Don't worry about it, it's just about too much for even my mind to grasp, let alone yours. You can call me Midex too, if that makes it easier, which it probably doesn't."

"What...?"

"What happened?" Midex stood up. "You died, but hey, what a way to go, right? Killing a demon of that magnitude. Nearly killing him anyway. So close."

"Nearly?" I should have felt anger, but somehow, I felt nothing at all.

"He slipped away, out of the body he had, just before it failed, and ran back to where he came from, originally. Oh, don't get me wrong, you severely injured him. He's in a very weakened state. It will take years, decades even, for him to recover to a decent level of power."

I should have cried then. It was all for nothing? And yet, I still felt no emotions.

"But don't worry, we were so impressed, we're going to send you after him."

"What?"

"Of course, if you don't want that, you'll be going to a Bad place. After all, you did a lot of horrible things in your life, and that includes cheating on you wife with all those women. I mean, most of them were old enough to be called women." He tapped a finger on his cheek. "Then there was all the violence and killing after." Midex shook his head and made a tutting sound. "You ended up being quite the bad man."

He looked at me and smiled brightly. At least that's the impression I somehow got, as his face was still blurry.

"So, what's it to be? A brand new life, in a brand new place, or, well, the other."

He knelt down and those golden eyes bored into me again. "If you ask me, it's not really a hard decision. You could maybe make up for all those regrets. It's a second chance! Clean slate, and so on."

To be honest, I wasn't sure I deserved such a thing, but then, if that bastard was still out there...

"I'll take the second chance," I said.