Chapter 9 : Finally after 14 years

Maddie

Only the ones he's interested in. What does that mean? My head is spinning. We're dancing around the subject but why? Why won't he just tell me? Why don't I just come out and ask him? I knot my fingers together collecting my words.

"Why didn't you ever ask me out back then or make a move if what you said is true?" I hold my breath. "It shouldn't matter now but it does."

"Why are you so hung up on the past when I'm right here now?" Tyler asked me as he moved in closer to me, taking my chin in his hand and forcing me to look at him. I let out my breath finally, unable to speak.

"Maddie high school was fun but it wasn't our time. I wanted to ask you out but something always got in the way but tell me what's holding you back now?" I can't breathe. I might pass out from his closeness and touch and his words. I move out of his reach and go sit on my trunk so I can think and speak.

"My heart built walls after all these years. I'm afraid if I let them down I won't be able to protect my heart from you again."

Tyler walks over and stands between my legs.

"My heart has been yours since you sat beside me on the first day of grade 9. No one has ever compared even when I was on the other side of the country. Please give me a chance now." Tyler says as he slowly slides his hands up my legs around to my ass making sure I am pressed tight against him.

"I don't know," I tell him I'm still unsure. "How do I know you won't pull away?"

He slides me off the trunk so I'm standing in front of him peering into his eyes. I can see the lust, the need, the want though.

"Because I traveled back for you because I came to this pond twice a day for the last week. Hoping to run into you, each time leaving a new message for you to find. Because I'm right here right now."

My mind doesn't have time to process what happens next. His lips crashed into mine for the first time. I've waited and wanted this since I was 14 years old. My arms naturally reach up around his neck, pulling him in tighter, deepening the kiss. When we finally break away. Tyler leans his forehead to mine. I wanted to do that for far too many years, without thinking our lips meet again. Softer, gentler, I pull away to look at him tracing his face with my thumb taking in every inch of him. Tyler brings his hands to my face doing the same then pulls me in again devouring my lips, jawline, and neck, nibbling at my ear.

Tyler:

Fuck I could eat her up. I love the way her lips feel on mine, the way she looks at me. I want to kiss her all over but I can feel her tense all of a sudden. I stop kissing her and ask what's wrong.

"I just have one more question." I roll my eyes, I practically confessed my love for her already.

"I guess you are done answering," Maddie says with a sad look in her eyes

"Ask me?"

"Why didn't you tell me all this at the bar?" Is she serious right now? I pull away from her and then jump up on the trunk. Maddie looks like a kid whose favorite toy was taken away.

"Look Mads, I'm a guy. I'm not great at the emotions piece. We were having fun at the bar. I wasn't expecting it and then I started second-guessing your feelings for me so I shrugged it off but fuck when you walked out and then left me standing alone. I knew I fucked up so this time let me be clear." I pulled her back to me between my legs forcing her eyes to meet.

"I'm not going anywhere unless you ask me to leave. I want this, you, us." I lean down kissing her this time, slipping my tongue into her mouth. When we break apart, I hop off the car but as soon as my feet hit the ground I pull Maddie into my arms. After a while of holding her, she checks the time.

"Where do you have to be?" I am worried she does.

"Yeah, home in bed." I raise an eyebrow wondering if that was an invitation.

"Sorry, but I have to be at the BNB at 5:30 in the morning." I keep kissing her while I ask

"Are you sure?" Maddie laughs

"Am I sure I have to open the BNB I own and operate? Yes, I am." She tries to wiggle out of my embrace but I pull her in tighter.

"Tyler, I really should go." Maddie starts walking towards her driver's side but before she can open the door I push her up against the car, kissing her.

"don't leave. I don't want to stop kissing you, touching you, staring into these eyes." I tell her. "If I let you go, when will I see you again?" I ask. She pushes me away before she answers "When you ask me on a real date. No more swimming in my undies in the pond." Walking back towards her with a devilish smile. As I picture it I say

"Okay. So next time wear nothing."

Maddie puts her hands up to stop me then opens her car door. Oh god please don't just leave me not now I think to myself. She bends over into the car. Looking for something in my eyes goes directly to her ass. My hand twitches as I smack it and she squeals. Maddie stands and faces me with a pen in hand.

"Give me your hand." She demands and she's writing her number on my hand now.

"You can call me and ask me out on a real date." She tells me laughing as she slides into the car.

"Hey," I shout too loud. Maddie looks up at me.

"Do you need a ride home?" She asks all innocent

"I want to say yes but my truck is right over there." I point to my truck. Maddie looks and then starts her car. She is leaving. I step aside letting her shut the door. She rolls the window down.

"Have a good night" She tells me. I lean in her window planting one last kiss on her lips. When I pull away I can see her smile.

"Good night Maddie and oh yeah by the way nice hoodie." Maddie blushes and then throws the car in reverse. I watch her drive away. Look down at my hand and add her number to my contacts before it smears.