❈ 10 , never. ever.

note before reading chapter: all chapters have been updated, there are minor differences but they add up to create a big picture and form the new plot! 💗

𝐊𝐀𝐈𝐀

I walk into Mr. Browns class, excited to go back to the beach. Last class wasn't much. He just gave us a lecture on the beach. This class though, we'll actually start doing something.

I head in class and take my seat next to Ryder. He smiles at me.

"Now that everyones here, gather your stuff. Be prepared to walk to the beach. I don't want to hear any complaining this time!"

We all get up and start to walk out, I walk besides Ryder and we walk behind the school and onto the nature trail.

"Soo.... I saw.. You're on top of the leaderboard." I start as we walk the sandy trail.

I was shocked when I saw I was in second. Shocked probably isn't even the correct term.

"Oh. Yeah. You used to be at the top though, didn't you?" He says. He must've not known. I've always been at the top.

"Yeah.. You're really smart though!" I compliment even though I'm feeling a bit bitter.

"Thanks. You too."

We both go silent for a second as we continue to walk the trail.

"Uhmm... How are you adjusting to the school? You like it here?" I ask, making small talk.

"It's nice. I do like it."

"You think you'll stay?" I say, looking up at him. As I'm not paying attention to my feet below, I trip over a tree root on the path.

Again, before I can touch the ground Ryder catches me. "I think I have to stay. Who else is gonna prevent you from falling all the time?" His hands are steady on my shoulders and he pushes me upright.

His hands never let go of my shoulders. We stare at each other, fighting a smile before bursting into laughter. "Okay, come on.! Everyone's ahead of us." He playfully nudges me.

We walk down the rest of the path and soon catch up to everyone else. They're all spread out across the beach with clipboards and materials.

"What do you wanna work on first?" He asks. I grab us a clipboard, pencil, and water quality tester kit from a basket. "Water quality?" I ask.

He nods and we walk closer to the shore. We both test out the water quality, He takes on the role of jotting down the results of all our tests.

Sometimes I can't stand how perfect his hand writing is. It's like he's spent hours perfecting each letter.

The sea breeze tousles his hair, casting a golden halo around his features as he leans in to inspect the water samples, his brows furrowed in concentration.

The air on the beach is brisk, the shore rolls back and then lightly crashes back in. The sand is warm, I pick some up and sprinkle it back on the ground.

We work side by side until the last 10 minutes of class. We finished up all our work. Summer calls my name out. My head turns. "Kaia!" She calls, waving Ryder and I over.

Lily's there too with.. someone else. Ryders friend maybe?

"Whhhhhatt!?" I roll my eyes while responding. "Come build a sandcastle with us!" She smiles.

We both walk over to her, sitting down in the sand. "You're.. Kaia. Right?" A guy sitting next to Lily asks. I've seen him around a few times, but more recently I've seen him with Ryder.