Chapter 7 - Dom Stone

Chapter 7: Dom Stone

October 5, 2015. Grimstone Asylum Grounds, Northern Pack Lands.

"And you're doing okay, right?" Mom asked over the phone.

"Yes, Mom," I heaved in a breath and eyed the nurse who was standing right next to me, monitoring my call to my mother. "I'm doing okay. How are you and Dad?"

"We both are fine, too. Natalie called, she was missing you a lot and she really wanted to talk to you. I told her to give you a few days and then probably they'll let you call her." She said.

"Oh, yeah, yeah. Please tell her I'm fine and that I will try to reach her soon as I'm allowed to," I said.

"I will, sweetie." She breathed in, hesitant. "I love you so much."

"I love you too."

As soon as we hung up, the nurse took the phone from me and placed it back on the desk before signing her initials on the sheet and the time. With a slight jerk of her chin, she motioned me to leave and then turned to the rest of the patients who were behind her, waiting to call their families or friends.

From what I had, no one really had phones in here, no one was allowed to have them. Calls could be made supervised but once you had done some time here and your behavior was good, you could make calls privately in one of their rooms.

Lana had that privilege, but the only person she talked to was a friend. Her family really didn't want to talk to her—she did plan to kill them after all.

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my pants and followed the familiar path that led toward the cafeteria where dinner was going to be served.

It was rather stale today, meat and soup and potatoes.

Again.

I had been eating the same thing over the past two nights and no wonder I was starving each time I was done eating. This wasn't enough. I needed more, much more. This was borderline starvation.

Once the bells in the building began to ring, everyone started returning to their rooms. There were five bells, same tune and each were five minutes apart but if by the fifth bell, you weren't in your room, one of the nurses would come and get you. I wasn't sure what I thought of this place so far. It was certainly odd, I'd give them that.

I learned some faces throughout the day. On the floor where I had a room, there were several other girls apart from me and Lana. Two of them were twins who stayed in the same room opposite mine. There was an older woman next to that one and then two others. Three of the rooms were vacant, there was no one in there and the doors were always left open, even in the middle of the night.

There were more girls but I didn't get the time to go and check.

By evening, just as dinner finished we were ushered back to our rooms.

When the lights went off, I waited twenty minutes before slamming the book in my hand shut and getting up from the bed.

Adjusting my plain black shirt, I peeked out of my room before leaving and slipping inside Lana's, just at the right time.

As soon as she saw me, she pulled open her drawer and tossed me the snacks that she had.

I made an immediate grab at them, digging my nose into the one that smelled of coffee, my favorite. I haven't had anything sweet in a while, let alone anything that tasted like this.

My mouth watered, I ripped it open and Lana watched me. "Wow. You're really hungry," she laughed, leaning back on her bed frame. "You should probably take some of the stock and keep it in your room."

"I can't sleep if I'm not full," I said, munching on whatever came into my hands. "How did you even manage to survive for so long with the food they serve downstairs?"

She laughed again, it was the sort of laugh that seemed genuine and easy. That kind of laughter wasn't easy. For someone so cheerful, and carefree, I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that she was somewhere like here.

"Trust me, it was this bad before. There was actual food, really good food and then, slowly, it all began changing to very little portion sizes, barely enough to sustain us. They cut back on the stuff like coffee, juice, desserts, pretty much everything, and now there's nothing good down there."

A frown crawled on my face, "But why?"

"They want us to get better. Make healthier choices and all of that." she rolled her eyes while talking, knowing well enough there was no truth in that either.

"Well, I'm just grateful that you've all of this."

I bunched up the chocolate wrapper in my hand and got up from the bed to throw it in the bin while grabbing some water at the same time.

Lana leaned forward, and said, "There's something I found out earlier today."

I glanced at her over my shoulders, "What?"

I assumed it was about my file, that she had told me she'd look for it and see what the doctors had written about me, or for me. But I didn't really expect her to do it in a day. That would've been too quick, even for her.

"I was looking for you file—"

"You were?" I raised my brow and went back to the bed.

"Well, yes, but I couldn't find it in the file cabinet so I think it's probably in Dr. Frost's office or something, but I did find another file. Dom Stone's. Apparently, there's a record of him here—not sure if he was admitted or if he was just brought in for an examination, but there was a file about him." she explained, her eyes serious.

"What do you mean about a record of him here? What exactly was written?" I asked her, sitting at the end of her bed, growing tense.

"I didn't really get time to grab it, but do you want me to?"

"Of course—" I paused for a second, collecting my thoughts and thinking straight. "That's only if you can. I don't want to get you in any kind of trouble and if you think this is going to get you, then there's no need."

"No, no, it's easy for me to get it."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," she nodded, "I'll do it. Not tomorrow but the day after that. The file room will be clear of nurses during the weekend, at least for a couple of hours."

This was too good to be true. It all seemed surreal, kind of crazy in its own sense. Why was there a file on Dom Stone? And why was his name different from what I was told? Well, it wasn't going to be long before I'd find out.

I always knew there was something more about all of this, all of what happened to me. Maybe, somehow, some way, this file was going to make me understand all of this.

I left Lana's room at midnight and reached the door of my room with my belly full. At least I could get some sleep now, even if my mind still felt like one big jumble again tonight. My hand moved for the knob and just as I was about to turn it, a sudden coldness hit me, a chill sweeping over me.

Warily, I glanced over my shoulder and could see nothing but darkness.

Taking in a deep breath, I pushed the door open and slid inside.

Click.

I flipped the light switch on and suddenly, my heart dropped at the presence of Dom Stone leaning against the wall, near my bed.

Read ahead of Inkitt or Patreon and get access to other books and steamy one-shots. Inkitt: www.inkitt.com/miakerr www.patreon.com/miakerr