Chapter 6 - Whispers

October 4, 2015. Grimstone Asylum Grounds, Northern Pack Lands.

I sat on the bed, opposite of Lana. It was dark outside, a little stormy as well. The grounds were wet with rain that had been going on for a couple of hours now. Thankfully, no thunderstorms. Not yet.

"Still not used to not being in your bed?"

I turned away from the window and glanced at her while shaking my head, "I don't think I want to stay here. It's—creepy, especially during the night. My imagination gets the best of me."

Lana observed me for a few moments before sitting up and moving forward, turning up the dim light by the lampshade. "What you need is to avoid all possibilities of giving your brain an idea to play tricks on you."

I frowned, "Well, unless they offer more pills, I can't really do anything about it."

With a slight chuckle, she tugged her long hair over her shoulder and smiled, "What you can do is distract yourself. There's nothing better than good entertainment."

"And how am I supposed to do that? I had a TV in my room and I'd stay up most of the nights, watching some movie, but here, it's just—" I gestured around Lana's empty room, which was the same as mine, just next door. She had a few more comic books and magazines, that was all. "There's nothing fun to watch and read. Believe me, I've looked around the library and I doubt anyone would let me watch TV at this time of the night."

"Well, what about me?" She said. "We can sneak into the rec room. Everyone's asleep by now."

I raised a brow, "That's risky. What if we get caught?"

"I know a couple of passages, no one will be able to see us, and even if they do, we'll just tell them we were bored and not sleepy. Come on, it won't be an issue."

Not wanting to sit and wait around for something to happen, I agreed.

Lana's face lit up as she jumped off the bed and pushed open her door slightly. She looked left and right and then motioned at me, "Come. Follow me."

With a heavy sigh, I followed her out into the dark hallway, closing the door behind me. We began walking, taking the smaller stairs by the far end. My heart thrashed against my ribcage with every step I took, but Lana didn't seem to worry or care about it at all.

I still couldn't believe that she had been here for more than five years already. I couldn't imagine myself staying here for another day. If I had the option to leave, I'd do it in a blink, regardless of everything.

As we made our way into another hallway, I began hearing noises.

Lana halted on her steps and shoved her arm at me, stopping me as well. She glanced at me over her shoulder and put a finger on her lips, signaling me to be quiet.

Voices.

There was one familiar one.

Dr. Frost.

"I can assure you that there's nothing to worry about. You know how patients get in the beginning, it's normal to experience delusions—"

"And if they aren't delusions. Then?" A harsher male voice interjected.

I narrowed my eyes and leaned into Lana, whispering, "Who's that talking?"

"It's Dr. Crow. Shh, stay quiet. We'll go from the back." She grabbed my arm and we took quiet steps backward from the way we came from.

"They are nothing more than delusions. Dom Stone is dead, he was killed. The Court saw the body itself and confirmed it—"

I stopped on my tracks upon hearing Dom's name. But wasn't it Dom Sterling? That was his name on the papers.

"And if he isn't dead, Frost? I already have the alpha and Elias breathing down my neck ever since Dom was released from prison. Now, if he's been roaming the grounds and there's a witness, we have a huge problem." The man, Dr. Crow, said.

They both spoke in low whispers. There was no one with them, no nurses or patients anywhere. Only them.

"The witness you speak about is currently unreliable, she's imagining things. They are merely hallucinations. I had confirmation from the guards that there was no one spotted outside except for the patients Dr. Victoria had supervising today," Dr. Frost retorted. "Dom Stone is dead and will remain that way."

"You better hope he will." The other doctor scoffed.

There was something odd about the words Dr. Frost spoke, it wasn't normal. She was talking about me—they were talking about me and I couldn't understand any of it.

My brows furrowed and I turned away from the large wall. Before getting the chance to look back, Lana nudged my back and resumed walking, backtracking.

Instead of going toward the rec room, she began leading me back toward our rooms.

Once we were inside, she sat down on her bed and went deep into thought. I was dazed, almost lost.

So much had been shared and not a lot made any sense.

I sat down across from Lana and exhaled, "Did you—did you hear what she said?" For a minute, she didn't say anything. "Lana?"

"It's been a while since I've seen Dr. Crow," Her eyes darkened, with fear. "I haven't forgotten what he had done to me."

My shoulders hunched forward and I grew confused. "What did he do to you?"

I recalled Lana telling me last night about him, about Dr. Crow and that she was under him for about a year and then switched to Dr. Frost. It was how she obtained a normal room and fewer security around her all the time. She didn't say much then, or what happened, all that she was sent to Dr. Crow's supervision for a while after she had killed her roommate.

"He did terrible things to me, experiments, violent experiments that turned my wolf unstable. I barely could recall that year in the basement," She shook her head, shaking, "I didn't think I'd see him, especially here. He's usually in other buildings."

"Do you know what they were talking about?"

She looked up, her eyes glassy, "What happened with you earlier?"

"I saw the man I killed outside."

"And his name was Dom Stone?" she asked, raising a brow.

"No, his name was Dom Sterling. I told Dr. Frost that I had seen him."

"It appears as though they believe he may not be dead—"

"But why would that matter? He was a rogue, a no one in the pack. How would they even know him?"

Sighing, she shrugged, "I have no idea," A stillness fell over the room, heavy. "But you should probably not tell anyone if you hallucinate him again, not even Dr. Frost."

"What do you mean?"

"Dr. Crow—he has ways, methods to do horrible things to patients and get away with it. If you go under his supervision, you will suffer and if they are discussing about you, it's better if you steer clear and just try to focus on getting out of here." she explained to me, her voice on edge, as if she was scared for me.

Who wouldn't be scared after hearing all of this?

"I won't say anything."

"Good," She nodded and brushed her hair back. "If you like, I can go through your file and see what they are writing down about you. At least you'll know what's coming."

"You can do that?"

She smiled, "I've been here for long enough to do a lot of things."

"Thank you."

Read 20+ chapters ahead on Inkitt or Patreon:

Inkitt: www.inkitt.com/miakerr

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr