39 - Suraj

Now with the knowledge that Waqas would accept the report in the water pollution case and knew of Murtasim's innocence, the swarming tension of losing his land subsided. The house once again erupted with bustling festivities as they prepare for the walimah ceremony, catering to a whole new guest list of Islamabad elites.

Mariyum shuffled with new baby Mateen resting on her arm, listening as his little coos fought with Maa Begum's mumbles; she was busy fretting over jewellery to take along to Islamabad. Her mind tussled over a pearly number or an emerald-encrusted choker necklace, her aged hands tracing them in contemplation. The cogs only stopped when her granddaughter neared and halted beside the low, jewel-adorned glass coffee table.

''Yeh wala Noori ke maami pe accha lageyga,'' Noori informed as Maa Begum studied the thick pearly necklace, arms folded behind her back like a mirror of her father. (This one will look good on Noori's aunt.)

Murtasim and Naurez lingered in the side-lines, doting on their respective wives whilst they took actual decisions, feigning interest as a festive giddiness saturated the air. ''Agreed, pyara laegyga uspe,'' Murtasim utterly contently in a whimsical sigh, patting his niece's curls as he assents to her immaculate, rich choice. (You're right, it would suit her.)

Meerab peering to see him beside her, her neck perfectly elongated and catching his attention. Opting for a prime view, Murtasim nabbed a seat next to her, mulling over the fact that any necklace that highlighted the regal slope of Meerab's clavicle got a green light from him.

Abruptly, Noori twisted, showcasing wide resolute eyes. ''Maine sahi kaha, haina Meero?'' She asked, voice characteristically sweet and squeaky. Her hand came to rest on Meerab's knee as if she was infinitely wise and she would be the ultimate decision maker. (Am I correct, Meero?)

A warmth bloomed in Meerab's heart at the ardent consideration, leaning forward to praise her, ''Tum hamesha sahi kehti hou, meri guriya.'' (You're always correct, my doll.)

In response, the girl beamed with pleased abandon, the smile reaching her eyes and making her voluptuous cheeks round. The same innocent happiness is what reminded Murtasim about a deal that still remained outstanding, promptly piping up, ''maine bhe mera vaada nahi bhoola.'' (I haven't forgotten my promise.)

Mariyum interest peaked at the mystery and asked, ''Kaunse vaada.'' She handed the bundled up baby over to Naurez, to make him useful since he insisted on being her sweet, loitering shadow through the preparations. (Which promise?)

A gaze of adoration locked on the 3 year old girl, her curls both bouncy and lively. ''Maine vaada kiya tha ke main aik necklace banwa ke dounga meri Noori ko, bilkul waise jaise Meerab ka hai, jo isne dhoonda tha.'' The missing necklace, which Meerab assumed was lost or stolen, lived with Noori in a state of perpetual obliviousness, not knowing of the true owner until Murtasim had spotted it. (I promised Noori that I would buy her a necklace exactly like Meerab's because she is the one that found Meerab's necklace and handed it back.)

''Jee, mujhe bha yaad aaya hai,'' Noori suddenly chirped, her little hand reaching to her bare neck as if the phantom chain resided there. (Yes, I also remember.)

Maa Begum's head lifted to the uncle-niece duo conspiring again. ''Murtasim, bahut zyaada bhigaarte hou isse,'' Maa Begum chide, eyebrows shrugging. ''Bachi hai, isko heera ke kya zaroorat hai?'' (Murtasim, you spoil her. Why does a child need a real diamond?)

Immediately, Noori's smile morphed into a straight line, her bottom lip jut out with the disappointment of crushed dreams. ''Maine Meero jaise necklace lena hai,'' she vehemently protest whilst staring at the twinkling flower at the base of Meerab's neck. (I want a necklace like Meerab's.)