14 - Inaayat

So he resorted to the changer of fates, the writer of destinies, the only true reckoning force. 'Ya mera Allah, meri itni si dua hai. Kay jo yeh chahe, ussey mil jaaey,' he gently whispered into his cupped palms so that only the particles within it could hear his plea, and not a single soul more. ( My lord, my only prayer is this- whatever she wishes for, may she be granted it.)

When he looked up, she was gone. There was an palpable sense of loneliness left in her wake. Soon transformed into an immediate sense of panic. He felt as though he was free falling, as though the floor beneath him simply vanished as he failed to complete the journey together as agreed.

He leapt up and around the veil wall in a frenzy. Scanning the open courtyard as his adrenaline picked up, until he saw the corner of his black pashmina dragging behind her like an oversized cape, slighly too wide and long for her frame. She was escaping as she turned inwards and found the solace of a secluded corner to pray in, a final act of appealing for guidance.

As he approached, he was met with the sight of her in prostration, and it caused his tummy to churn, a harsh reminder than he was just a viewer, watching in on her reality. Or he supposed that 'intruder' might have been more apt from the way he entered her carriage.

After the last salaam, she looked past her shoulder to find him peeking through the veiled wall. Perhaps he shouldnt have been, but he couldnt pull himself away from her adoration, his mind taking in every last detail as though that would be all he had to savour for the rest of his life.

There was glistening water welled in the corners of her eyes, brimming in hopelessness. The dullness of her skin was a tell-tale sign of her mental exhaustion and the blankess behind the eyes meant that her mind was pre-occupied in other decisions. She pushed herself off the prayer mat and loosed the scarf from under her chin, walking around to meet him. The shimmer of her innocence was lingering, the noor lasted of her face long after the prayer had concluded.

This is the point that they would have said their good byes, and departed. Both of them had completed their respective tasks- there was nothing more to be said or done. Which is my she didn't expect him to ask...

'Kahan jaungey Meerab?.' His voice slightly apprehensive, knowing that he had no right to ponder past this, their path was about to propell them away from each other now. (Where will you go Meerab?)

She gulped at his forwardness. The question was perfectly sensible and what she had been searching for herself, during the prayer. She wiped the corner of her eye dry, her finger causing a slight sting from the tug.

An entire train ride had passed providing adequate time to think about where she would go to, when she reached Karachi. She had a cousin of a friend that was willing to let her stay for a couple days. Then she needed income as her's would deplete fast. Maybe she needed to arrange to stay in a hostel and find a job and apply for a scholarship- should she be so lucky. 'Patha nahi. Mera koy ghar nahi raha,' shared in a melancholic tone, accepting her reality. ( I dont know. I dont have a house anymore.)

Her family was powerful and would find her- that's why she needed to carry on with the journey. The guessed that the further out she goes, the harder she would be to find. 'Filhaal tou yeh angooti bechoungey,' she smiled meekly whilst gazing to her hand, knowing that the rationing began from now. ( For now, I will go to sell this ring.)

It was that tinge of sadness that pulled him over the edge, and suddently he succumbed to an overwhelming need to shoulder her, to take her under his wing. Her clicked his tounge and pleaded, 'Na becchou.' ( Don't sell it.)

She had told him in the train that she had no spare cash, so her eyebrows furrowed at his command which she wouldnt be able to carry out. 'Sirf paisay hai. Aur kama loungi,' she reassured simply, trying to detach herself from the pretty thing. ( It's only money. I'll earn some more.)