22 - Khawab

Apologies for the delay in updating the FF!

Meerab was awestruck whilst gazing at a beautiful cross road of two adjacent fields of sugar canes and pomegranate trees- even the air was delectably sweet, infused with a fruity essence that engulfed them into a dream like wonderland. Noori squealed in her lap, obviously not the first time she had visited her fields as her entire aura lit up in excitement.

There was an overwhelming sense of optimism as they stepped out to the car and Murtasim led the way, greeting the labourers in a courteous nod of acknowledgement and Noori ran wild. For the first time Murtasim chided, 'Araam say,' to his niece.(Slowly)

It was a trek through what felt like endless rows of trees, a heavenly maze with ripe fruits hung for the taking. Meerab strayed behind slightly, taking in the sight. Labourers were picking large pomegranates and arranged them in crates, which stacked ontop of each other and were rolled away.

Of course, the little girl had more energy than balance on the uneven floor, and Murtasim wasn't going to risk a injured and crying Noori so he plucked her, placing her on his shoulders. Now she had a bird-eye view, knocking shoulders with the trees, hopefully reaching for a nearby fruit every couple steps but failing.

She squealed, 'Meero, mai udh rahi hun,' with her arms stretched out like a bird mid flight, eliciting a generous giggle from Meerab. (Meero, I am flying)

That caused Murtasim to twist to catch a view of the source of the balm like giggle behind him, and Noori's hand snapped down onto his hair for stability. He winced as her chubby fingers pulled his short clipped hair as though he didn't have secured hold of her knees on his shoulders.

'Noori, araam say,' Meerab interjected in a hurry as though she was the one with yanked hair. The concern might have caused him a smirk to pull onto his face- she felt his pain. (Carefully Noori)

Noori did them the favour of pulling a hefty pomegranate off the tree, and Murtasim may have helped with the tug. It was so large that it took both her hands to hold the crimson globe, her eyes sparkled in amazement. 'Mera!' She exclaimed proudly, as if she wasen't heirless to the endless fertile fields.

Meerab was concious that every step taken was over land that belonged to him- earth under his tenure.

Eventually the trees led onto open field on one side, and a wall of tall sugar canes on the other, and some labourers were to be seen off the side harvesting the cane in the distance, chopping it before loading onto a transport truck.

They sat on some chairs nears the labourers rest station, and Noori clamoured onto his leg instead as they sat. The wind was gentle upon them, lovingly inviting the trio to enjoy the fruits of it's silent labour, the scintillating sun-rays ripening the fruits solely for their enjoyment.

'Main khol deti hou,' Meerab suggested, and Noori complied. Without a pocket knife, she pulled the top off, and attempted to tear at the octagonal seams- her nails digging into the flesh as she pulled and it cracked open into a lotus, a couple rouge seeds flying away. (I'll open it)

'Pyala tou nahi hai?' Meerab spoke out loud, realising the need to be crafty in an open field. As always, he haden't planned well. (Do you have a bowl?)

On instinct, Murtasim's hands cupped into a vessel beneath hers so the scarlet juice didnt spray onto her clothes.

An unbidden flutter overcame her heart when their knees knocked innocently. She rolled the seeds out of the segments so they fell onto Murtasim's hand- a sheild which protected her clothes from staining with red spots - a gracious display of team work.

'Aur... jaldi... meri.' Noori enjoyed herself far too much as she shoved mouthfuls of the pellets, the sweet juice streaking down her chin.

Undeniably, Murtasim had a calming presence, and she didnt feel even a wisp of a threat- maybe that's what allowed her to lean into his presence without apprehension- for the sake of the fruit not spilling, obviously.