3 - Akhbaar

There was silence, except for the bustle of traintracks, as he opened his newspaper. Reading line by line but failing to take any of the information in. Occasionally peering over the top. He wasen't one to stare but she there was something that felt a little off about her. Something he couldn't quite pinpoint it and it irked him.

She was dazed, staring at the carpet - like she was talking to her self mentally and her lips were moving soley based on muscle memory.

He reasoned that she must have thought he was strange too- that perhaps he haden't purchased a ticket and that's why he had to ask for a spare seat. That was enough to prohibit him from focusing on the words before him, as the idea that he could intend to invade her space clouded his mind.

The stagnant air only added to the tension so he spoke up in efforts explaining himself. 'Mera seat mei aik family thi- unkay 3 chotay bachay the. Bachon saath saath sona chahtey the, tou mainay socha aur jagah dhoond lou.' He tried to justify his search for a seat in her cabin, speaking confidently as he recalled the incident. ( There was a family sat in my booth, with 3 small children. The children wanted to sleep together so i thought that i should find another seat.)

Meerab looked up and fully took in the sight of him for the first time- to assess why he was talking. His top button was one and he rested back onto his seat with one leg crossed over the other- balancing on his ankle.

Then she reassured him, 'Manay kahan tha kay mujhay bura nahi laga,' as a way to cut the conversation off. ( I already said that I don't mind you sitting here.)

After all, he had been a gentleman so far and his backstory supported it too.

He nodded, gazing at the edge of her dress which trailed onto the floor. Whilst in an effort to not make eye contact, his noticed the tiny specs of dirt causing the edge of her dupatta to dull. The emraldy green and fuchsia of her dress was too bright against the aged yellow of the train's interior and it was unusally sparkly for everyday wear- the ghota trim shined irridescantly as the light from the window hit it.

Beneath which peaked some muddy white trainers, which had turned a shade of grey from as the dust they had accumulated from wear. They juxtaposed her outfit. Practical versus ornate.

Meerab could sense he was looking at her and tensed, pulling her feet back so that her shoes were concealed under the fabric of her dress. Could he see through the farce? She questioned herself, making a silent prayer to god to request make him oblivious to the girl sat in-front of him.

But alas, she couldn't shake the uneasiness and decided to elaborate. 'Main, shaadi say ho kar aarahee hou.' Her words hung in the air as an incomplete story. ( I'm just coming from a wedding.)

He nodded. He could have guessed from the preety dress and the slightly worn out makeup. 'Aap Karachi jaa rahee hou?' He asked, trying to piece the next part of her story. ( Are you going to Karachi.)

It was a train from Islamabad to Karachi, and it would take almost a full day.

Her eyebrows furrowed at his question. 'Karachi?' She asked herself almost. She hadent been able to focus on the speaker in the station, annoucing which train was leaving. All she though was, she needed to leave Islamabad. ASAP.

'Jee, Karchi jaungi.' She confirmed, almost surprising herself at learning of her destination. ( Yes, i'm going to Karachi.)

There was another pause.

She didn't ask, but he shared anyways to fill the silence. 'Main, Hyderabad.' He informed with the newspapers slowing descending between them. He hoped it gave her a little consolation that she would get the isolation she desired for a little while as his stop was before hers. ( I'm going to Hyderabad.)