30 - Ulfat

Hafeez to be played by Bilal Ashraf

A protective chador was placed upon Meerab like a cosy hug, and was guided into a car when Bakhtu drove her to the grand venue. A homely feeling saturated the air, on route to a new beginning - the whizzing past streets looking different as she went to become their Khaani- more vivid. ''Meerab bibi, haq mehr ka socha hai?'' He asked to Meerab sat at the back, two female members of their staff at her side. (Meerab, have you thought about your dowry?)

''Nahi,'' she replied, forgetting that step. (No.)

''Jo chahti ho maanglena Meerab. Abhi hi soch lo,'' he suggested, fatherly and wise. (Request whatever you want. Think of it now.)

The car revved, a background hummed that reminded her the time to being untethered was limited and deminishing. She though for only a couple seconds before deciding, ''Degree. Main degree likhungi.'' (Degree. I will write down that I want a degree.)

''Meerab, woh to pehle se tay hai. Kuch aur maang lena,'' he suggested, really chanelling the role of her guardian. (That's already decided. Ask for something else.)

''Mujhe aur kuch nahi chahiye. Sar pe chath chahiye aur padhai krni hai. Bas.'' A nikkah to chain her to that house was enough, forever out of her father's reach. (I don't need anything else. I have a roof over my head and an education ahead. That's it.)

''Meerab, Murtasim mana nahi karega. Sensible bano,'' he coaxed carefully, choosing her. ''Padhai mukammal hone ke baad kaam aayegi.'' It was a reminder. (Murtasim won't reject your request, so be sensible. Your education will only benefit you after its completion.)

''Paise likh lun?'' It was passing dawn outside. (I should write money?)

He gave a light nod into the rear view mirror. It felt like the first time when she just got off the train, and Murtasim told Baktu about the new guest.

Arriving, they were welcoming into a ridiculously grand and opulent venue, the perimeter of the hall was graced in hanging wisteria, when she walked down the showcase spiral staircase on Maa Sahab's arm. Ahead, Murtasim was already waiting for her on the stage standing tall and shoulders squared before everyone. There was a glitzy background of arches, made up of mostly frosty white flowers, yet mingled with contrating rusty orange and warm pink flowers - just like on her jora.

The flick forwards of her skirt on every step and the sparkle of the endless golden lights catching on her beaded encrusted dress, was etched into his memory. She was a dream - better than a reality.

Reflecting her elegance, Murtasim wore an all white kameez, a perfect white blazer overtop that was the exact shade of her dress- white and lightly tinged in pyar.

The hall boomed with melodic chiming wedding songs, and Noori was the flower girl ahead, sprinkling tiny handfuls of deep crimson rose petals on her walk infront of the bride - it was a festival of mohabbat. The music heightened at they neared, nearing a magical crescendo.