24 - Jurm

When the couple remaining mouthfuls had finished, Meerab scanned the hallway, finding it empty. 'Main Maya ko dekh kar aati hun, itni der ho gayi hai, aur cake nahi mil raha usko.' (I'll go see maya, it's been so long and she can't find the cake.)

Noori had requested cake, so she shall have cake. This is the mantra that rang through her mind as Meerab trutted through the hallway to the kitchen, wondering where Maya had gotten caught up. She called, 'Maya?'

On entering the Kitchen, Maya spun to face Meerab, her hair dramatically spinning behind her, a plate of cake with a wedge missing in her hands and a distinct lack of smile. 'Tum mere peeche kyun aayi? Tume lagta hai ke mujhey raasta nahi aata? Main tou itni saalon say in darwazon se guzarti rahi hun,' Maya explained. It was a reminder of which one of then had firmer established roots in the house, secured by years passed. She cut a slice and Meerab fetched her a dessert plate. (Why did you come after me? You think I don't know my way here? I have roamed within these corridors for years )

'Mainey socha kuch madat chahiye hogi, shayad,' Meerab informed whilst handing over the white china plate, it had a softly scalloped edge, just like in Noori's toy collection- when they had the tea party with the teddy bears. (I thought you might need some help.)

Accepting the plate, Maya put a slice of cake onto it, but keeping it close. Instead, she pushed the larger cake to Meerab to place in the fridge. Wanting to be helpful, Meerab obliged as it was her own house. The fridge emitted a strange yellow hued light onto her face, and then the door clicked shut.

For the split second, Maya studied her apprehensively, amazed at how Meerab had weaseled her way in. 'Tumhein Hyderabad pasand hai?' She asked speculatively. (Do you like Hyderabad?)

'Ghar mila hai, aur pyar se rakhne wale log. Main Allah ko bahut shukr ada karti hun,' Meerab shared sweetly in a moment of gratitude. (I have got a house and such caring people, I am grateful to Allah.)

Almost cutting her off, Maya quizzed, 'Ke train pe Murtasim mila tha?' She already knew the answer. (That Murtasim found you on train?)

'Haan. Ittefaqan hum dono Islamabad mein train pe bethe the. Zindagi kitni ajeeb hai,' Meerab remarked in an almost philosophical lilt. She had run from her wedding, right into safety, into his warm shawl, into his dosti. (Coincidentally, both of us were on the same train. Life is so strange.)

'Waise tou Murtasim aksar Islamabad jaata hai,' Maya commented, trying to down play their meeting. (Murtasim does visit Islamabad frequently.)

It was magical friendship and Meerab wholeheartedly believed there had been divine intervention, everything clicking into place with precision. 'Jee business key liye,' Meerab said, completing the sentence. With a singular plate with a dainty wedge of cake, Meerab decided that Maya looked foreign in the kitchen, more so than herself even- she was squirming to be liked by Noori. (Yes for business)

It was late and a wisp of tiredness settled in her eyes, tempting her to rub it out- but she abstained from ruining her eye makeup. Today was the first time she had properly dressed up, hosted in Hyderabad.

Knocking Meerab off her track and into awareness, Maya corrected, 'Haan, par iss time court hearing key liye bhi gaya tha.' It was a necessity, it was a different sort of business. (Yes, but this time he went there for a court hearing as well.)

Meerab almost froze, her heart constricted at the mention of 'court' and she ardently wished that the shock didn't show on her face- he had said that he only attended for his friend, Hafeez's clothing event, for Nishat Linen's new collection. 'Murtasim... issi liye Islamabad mei tha? Mujhey nahi pata tha kay woh aik court hearing kay liye gaya tha...'(So is this why he went to Islamabad? I didn't know ..)