41: before the storm

Start from the beginning

I don't know why I felt like this. I at least know I didn't do anything. But what else were you supposed to do when your fans were the ones sending you hate. There wasn't anything I could do.

Around noon, Jane and I left the hotel to go to the meeting with 60 Minutes. Harry stayed at the hotel, planning on meeting up with a couple of his friends. He said the same thing as he had said the night before to me, before I left: "Stay safe".

In the car, I did the one thing that I thought would make me feel better. I decided to call Nikki Hall.

She picked up after a couple of rings with a hesitant hello.

"Nikki! Hi, how are you? It's Jess..." I greet, kind of unsure about what her reactions would be. My confidence has dropped to nothing today.

"Oh my--hi! Hi, Jess, I'm great, thank you!"

I could hear the smile in her voice and immediately one formed on my face as well. She sounded strong and healthy.

"I just wanted to call and check in on you. I'm not having the best of days and calling you would make me feel better so here we are," I say.

"Oh, what's wrong? Is it...um, Nick Jonas?" She seemed unsure to venture on the topic.

A laugh escapes me and I quickly collect myself. "Kind of. In a way."

"I don't believe any of those rumors. They're so stupid. You wouldn't cheat."

I smile. "Thank you for believing. And I wouldn't. I just have to deal with the media for a little while until it all blows over," I assure. "Anyways, how's life treating you?"

"I'm kicking cancer's ass if that's what you're asking."

I throw the hand that isn't holding my phone up in the air in excitement. "I'm so happy for you, Nik! How's Cameron?"

"He's good, too. He just got offered a scholarship to UDub for soccer."

"That's amazing. Tell him I said congratulations. I really need to make a trip out there soon."

I missed home already and would give anything to sit on my couch in my apartment and just stare out the window at the rainy clouds and streets.

"I'm sorry, but can I say something real quick?" She says in a higher tone of voice.

"Of course." As long as you don't swear me out about Nick Jonas because as much as I like him, as a friend, I can't stand to hear his name anymore.

"I cannot believe I am speaking to you on the phone right now. Like I'm trying not to hyperventilate. I don't want to sound like a crazy fan, but this feels so unreal."

I give a breathy laugh and a smile comes to my face. I'm so glad I called her. I'm already in a better mood.

"It's all good. Well, I have to go, but thanks for talking with me for a little! I'm in a much better mood now," I beamed.

"Thank you, Jess! Have a good day!"

"You, too, babe. Bye."

I hang up and drop my phone back into my purse. Jane gives me a side glance and looks like she wants to ask me who that was.

"That was Nikki Hall," I say before she asked.

"Who's that?"

"A girl I visited at the hospital back in Seattle."

Jane gave a small smile. "That's wonderful that you keep in touch."

I nod. "She's a nice girl."