TEN

ROSE

After my father had turned the house upside down because he couldn't find his favourite hat, we eventually managed to get into the car and get to the Dupin's house. A bit late for dinner, but at least my dad had his stupid hat on his head, which was very important according to him.

"You've grown up so much since the last time I saw you," Jean's mom said, pinching my cheek. "Look at you, you're a woman now !"

"Well, she's sixteen," my father told her, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. "I think it's a bit early to call her a woman. Let's stay on the term of teenager, hm ?"

Marie rolled her eyes. "Your daughter is growing up and there's nothing you can do about it, Thierry."

"That's what I keep telling him," my mother chuckled as she kissed Marie on the cheek. "How are you otherwise ?"

While adults were busy talking next to the front door, I made my way into the house, holding my coat in my hands as I let my gaze wander along the hallway.

It's so big, I thought to myself. I didn't know if it was because of the changing decoration, but Jean's house looked far much bigger than the last time I stepped foot into it.

Suddenly, a hand ripped my coat off my hands and I immediately turned my head, only to be faced with Jean, who had a boyish grin plastered on his face.

"You scared me," I said as I hit his chest with the back of my hand.

"I know," he chuckled, hanging my coat on the hatstand. "That was like, the whole point."

I smiled. "Where were you ? Why weren't you at school today ?"

"Why ? Did you missed me ?"

A little bit. "No," I waved him off. "I was just wondering. And you don't really look sick."

Jean rolled his eyes. "I was late and didn't felt like going... But tell me," he wrapped his arm around mine and led us to the living room. "how was your day ?"

As Jean led us into the living room, I told him about how Belkacem ruined our presentation and my grade, which seemed to really amuse that idiot... And right as I was about to talk about his best friend's behaviour that really did not helped me feel better throughout the day, Jean's parents called for us. Dinner was ready.

Various meals were served on the dinner table, a big feast, since it's been almost a year our families didn't got the chance to gather around a table.

While both of our fathers started to talk about their work or sport, my mother and Marie stayed focused on their meal, clearly not interested in any football games or finances.

I was focusing on my salmon when Jean started to tickle my side with his fork, making me chuckle slightly and drawing his mother's attention to us.

She smiled softly. "So did you missed Saint-Jean, Rose ?"

"I.. well, yes," I replied, putting down my napkin after I've wiped my hands. "It's my hometown after all."

"Right, but you spent more time outside of Saint-Jean because of that private school of yours, no ? I thought you might have forgot about it," she told me while cutting her meat. "Saint-Jean is a small town after all, nothing compared to the big metropolises of France."

I winced as my eyes slowly darted to my mother. She was still eating in silence, her eyes fixed on her plate.

"No, I can't forgot about Saint-Jean," I chuckled nervously. "I came back almost every weekend last year."