NINE

ROSE

Standing in front of my mirror, I was staring at the violet mark I had on my shoulder since the fight I had with Descamps. It's been two weeks now since we fought in the classroom, and the wound only seemed to worsen given the way it had changed colours multiple times : red, blue, yellow and now violet.

Fortunately, it was quite easy to hide. Because only God knows what would have done my dad if he knew a boy bite me...
I didn't even wanted to imagine.

"Gross," I muttered, trailing my fingers on the bite and feeling the imprint of his teeth on my skin.

That bastard really did not missed it. I knew he could be mean and vile and despicable, but violent ? With a girl ?
What could have gone through his brain ?

Well, you hit him first.

And what could have gone through my brain ? Fighting with others wasn't in my habits, but he had been so hard to deal with these last days that I couldn't resist the temptation to just slap him. Although I didn't expect that my slap would have led us to a fight.

So I've tried to defend myself as best as I could, knowing damn well that he was way more stronger than me, and that I didn't stand a chance.

So I've ended up pinned to the ground miserably, with him on top of me smiling proudly, as if the balance of power wasn't completely unbalanced.

But yet... there wasn't just that.

It's been two weeks and I keep wondering myself, what was he expecting when I had leaned toward him that day ? A kiss ? I couldn't believe it.

There was also that stare from the other day, on my doorstep, right when Jean kissed my cheek.

He was acting... weird.

It's Descamps, I reminded myself, trying to clear my head from all these weirds thoughts. He's playing games.

Without warning, my mother entered my room and I quickly rearranged my sleeve on my shoulder before she could see something. "You could knock on the door before coming," I sighed.

"And you should be outside by now," my mother said, taking a look at her watch. "Why are you not dressed yet ? And why are your hair still wet ?"

"I just got out from shower... I didn't wake up in time." Because I spent the night studying for my presentation with Belkacem, which I've completely forgot.

"Yeah, you slept pretty late last night." She narrowed her eyes at me as she leaned her back against the wall. "Your light stayed on during a very long time. What were you doing exactly ?"

"Nothing !" I fired back with a frown. "You're spying me now ?"

"You're my daughter, Rose. There's nothing I haven't done before you," she chuckled and I rolled my eyes. As if studying late at night was something super illegal. "Whatever, hurry up. You've already missed the first hour."

"I know," I sighed as I turned around to open my closet, pulling out a baby blue dress before throwing it on my bed.

The presentation. I had completely forgot about it, and I could only hope Belkacem had not. I couldn't even be mad at him if he did... but still. We needed to have a good grade. I needed that grade. The holidays were two weeks away from now, and I needed to give my best to get that well-earned rest after it.

"By the way, I almost forgot to tell you... we're having dinner at the Dupin's tonight," my mother dropped casually as she exited my room.

"What ?! Wait !" I followed her in the corridor. "You're only telling me this now ?"