EIGHT

JOSEPH

Rose let out a nervous laugh. "We're not going to fight."

"Well, that's not up to you."

I walked up to Herman's desk and slightly opened the bocal, pulling out one frog, before I closed it again. The small animal immediately tried to free itself from my grip, but I made sure to keep it tight in my palm. For now.

Rose gave me a horrified look. "And what are you planning to do with this ?" she asked me while slowly stepping back.

"Yesterday," I said, ignoring her question and taking a step toward her. "you asked me if I was afraid of Paul, right ?"

"Yes," she breathed out. "But I don't know why you're bringing that up all of a sudden—"

"Oh, but you do know."

Her eyes darted between my face and my right hand, the one in which I was holding the frog, as she pressed herself against the wall behind her. Rose's features were twisted in disgust, but I could see the spark of fear in her eyes.

She swallowed thickly before she spoke. "Listen, whatever I said last time.. I didn't meant it. It was just a mistake, a big one, but— I thought we were having a truce ?"

I grinned. "You look nervous, Delaunay."

"I'm not—"

"You should take responsibility for what you say," I told her with a tone full of disdain. "Instead of sending Jean to apologise for you."

Her lips pursed into a thin line. "It wasn't my idea, if you must know. And I don't think I have to apologise," Rose added, a little more relaxed since she put some distance between us. "You literally blackmailed me. Surely you can overlook the fact that I've hurt your fragile ego."

I rolled my eye. "I didn't blackmailed you, I offered you a choice..."

"That's not how it works—"

"You see, that's exactly my issue with you," I cut her off as I sat on one of the tables. "You're always contesting things. You think that being friend with Jean means you can do whatever you want, that you have all the rights..."

She shook her head with a scoff. "All the rights ? I just—"

"Is that too hard for you ? To mind your own fucking business ?"

It may be because of my childhood, but I liked to have control. On everything.

As an only child, my parents had always been obsessed with me and me only. They had a say in everything. My looks, my personality, my grades, my friends and in the future, a potential girl I'd want to marry.

They soon realised that I wasn't going to fit in the little box they built for me, though. But not because I wanted to disobey them. But because the perfect son they dreamed about didn't exist. At least I wasn't him.

After my parents' divorce, my mom had quickly stopped trying to control me, fearing that I'd prefer my father over her. And she was right.

Because even though we didn't saw each other very often, I couldn't stand my father.

I did not fathered a little girl. You're a man, Joseph. Act like one.

What's this eyepatch for ? You'll wear a glass eye.

How much did Dupin get at this one ? That's what I thought... while others are building their future, you're playing.

So, I was my mom's son. I could do whatever I wanted, hanging out at whatever hour of the day and frequent whoever I wanted. The best part— or the worst, I didn't really know— was that my mother was blind. As long as appearances stayed as she wanted.