FOUR

"I hate groups work. I always end up doing everything," I complained, tilting my head backward.

Class had ended ten minutes ago. Simone, Michelle and I were sitting on the steps leading to the hall, as usual. It was the perfect spot to chat, and also spy everyone in the courtyard.

Mr. Marcelin had decided to have us work in pairs for a presentation on the Enlightenment. Everyone had teamed up with their seatmate, but since me and some boy called Belkacem were sitting alone, the teacher told us to work together.

"Belkacem is nice at least. You could've gotten worse... like Descamps," Michelle said while eating one of Simone's cookies.

I frowned at the mention of Descamps, remembering our conversation in the hall earlier.

We'll soon get rid of Delaunay. What was that supposed to mean ? I wanted to ask Jean, but like every time he would tell me that it's just "Joseph and his jokes."

Of course, Joseph and his great sense of humour. Like when he would humiliate Pichon in front of the whole class, or when he'd be involved in some argument between boys at every break. No one seemed to find these jokes funny, except his friends.

I couldn't stand him.

Weeks that I was in this school and I still couldn't understand how Jean, the sweet boy I've grown up with, could be friend with such a despicable human being.

Honey, boys are just stupid at your age. Jean's no exception. I could almost hear my mom's chuckle in my head, the same she had when I told her everything about my first week.

Of course he could be friend with whoever he wanted, I wasn't his mom. But I've had my experience with bad influences. How they could bring out the worst in you and...
I didn't want it to happen to Jean, that's all.

"Or that pervert of Applebaum," Simone added, her voice pulling me out of my thoughts and bringing me back to our conversation. "Though it's a shame Marcelin didn't let you join us."

I smiled. "It's okay, Michelle is right. Belkacem is a nice boy. One of the only boys in our class who isn't weird nor mean..."

"Don't forget Pichon ! He's with Annick," Simone discreetly pointed at something and I turned my head to see Pichon and Annick speaking near a bench.

"Why does she always stay alone ?" I asked after a few seconds.

Annick was the first person I've talked to on my first day ; a short exchange about the stupidity of boys and the hint of a smile had convinced me to stick by her for the rest of my day, until Simone came to me at break time. I haven't talked to her since. She was always sitting alone on a bench, reading or just letting her picky look wander in the courtyard, until it was time for class and she would go sit alone, again.

Michelle shrugged when I looked at her. "Simone and I have tried to talk with her but... she's not really friendly."

I was intrigued, was it a form of disdain on her part or just shyness ? She wasn't necessarily mean, she was just... cold. As if she was trying to protect herself from something... or just the world around her ?
I couldn't blame her.

"Yeah, but I'm sure deep down of me that she's the hidden daughter of Marilyn Monroe !"

"Oh shut up," Michelle said though she couldn't help but laugh.

I tilted my head with a chuckle. "Marilyn Monroe ?"

"Just one of Simone's many theories, she thinks..." Michelle stopped herself, her brows furrowed. "Isn't that Dupin over there ?"