Chapter 18 - Pursuit In The Shadows

As I emerged from the depths of the hospital basement, a sense of foreboding settled over me like a suffocating shroud. The discovery of the medical supplies had been a small victory, but it had also attracted unwanted attention. I could sense it in the air—the unmistakable presence of the Wyoming Frontier Guard (WFG), closing in on their prey.

With stealth born of desperation, I moved swiftly through the corridors, my heart pounding in my chest with each passing moment. The WFG would stop at nothing to claim the resources I had found, and I knew that my only chance lay in evading their grasp.

As I navigated the labyrinthine halls, the sound of footsteps echoed in the distance, growing louder with each passing moment. Panic threatened to consume me, but I forced myself to remain calm, focusing on the task at hand.

Ducking into a nearby room, I pressed myself against the wall, my breath coming in shallow gasps as I strained to listen for any sign of my pursuers. The footsteps drew closer, their rhythm like a drumbeat echoing through the silence of the hospital.

With a sinking heart, I realised that I had run out of time. The WFG was closing in, and I had no choice but to make a desperate bid for freedom. Steeling myself for the challenge ahead, I burst from the room and sprinted down the corridor, my footsteps echoing off the walls as I raced towards the nearest exit.

The hospital seemed to stretch on forever, its endless corridors a maze of twists and turns that threatened to ensnare me at every turn. But I refused to give up hope, pushing myself to the limits of endurance as I sought out a way to escape the clutches of my pursuers.

Finally, I spotted a door up ahead—a glimmer of hope in the darkness. With renewed determination, I sprinted towards it, my heart pounding in my chest as I reached out a trembling hand and threw it open.

As I stepped out into the cool night air, a sense of relief washed over me. I had escaped the hospital, but the danger was far from over. With the WFG hot on my trail, I knew that my journey was far from over. But as long as there was breath in my body, I would continue to fight for survival, determined to see Owen safely through to the end.