Chapter 17 - Shadows Of Salvation

As I delved deeper into the abandoned hospital, the oppressive silence weighed heavily upon me, broken only by the occasional creak of floorboards beneath my cautious steps. Every shadow seemed to conceal a lurking threat, and I remained on high alert, ready to defend myself against any danger that might emerge from the darkness.

The corridors stretched before me like a maze, twisting and turning with no discernible pattern. With each turn, I encountered more of the infected, their twisted forms shuffling aimlessly in search of prey. I moved with stealth and precision, relying on the cover of darkness to evade their notice.

Despite my best efforts, I could not avoid every confrontation. When forced to fight, I relied on quick reflexes and the improvised weapons I had fashioned from the debris scattered throughout the hospital. Each encounter tested my resolve, but I refused to falter, driven by the knowledge that Owen's life depended on my success.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of navigating the labyrinthine corridors, I stumbled upon the entrance to the hospital's basement. With a mixture of trepidation and determination, I descended into the depths below, the darkness swallowing me whole as I ventured into the unknown.

The basement was a maze of storage rooms and long-forgotten equipment, its narrow passages shrouded in darkness. I moved cautiously, my senses on high alert for any sign of danger. As I searched, my heart leaped with joy as I discovered a cache of medical supplies tucked away in the back corner of one of the rooms.

With a sense of urgency, I gathered what I needed, stuffing the supplies into my pack with trembling hands. Owen's life hung in the balance, and I knew that every second counted. With the precious cargo secured, I prepared to make my way back to him, determined to see our journey through to the end, no matter the cost.