I walked over and hugged her as we both cried. What a physical relief, but also a mental terror. There was no doubting it...I am becoming a mermaid just as I had asked for, and now with this disaster, I cannot leave mom for the ocean right now.

The holidays were more profound than I have ever felt before. Thanksgiving and Christmas had a new meaning of family as we both knew that one day, we would never share this moment ever again...

~~~

Months after the destructive tsunami, the house was already being rebuilt on our block as it was nice to be back home in Copalis. Sadly, many of our elderly neighbors did not survive the disaster; their property had become consumed by weeds and decay. Only one other house rose from the ashes, like a watch tower over the wave battered Sitka spruces.

With the springtime ushering in summertime, I made my eventful return back to the Cove with mom this time as we now worked together as both daughter and mother. I did not know if Myra would come with mother standing by my side.

"So, this is the place?" mom asked.

"Yep...my mermaid Cove!" I said, though stunned at what had happened to my paradise!

The rocks where I had previously sat were all tossed further inland by the tsunami! And my little private Cove was now filled with sand and debris from the waves. And yet through all of this destruction, my shallow pool was now much deeper, all thanks to the earth subsiding.

I did not expect Myra to show as I walked over and tested the water...it was far warmer than usual...El Nino has awakened the Pacific with an early summer. However, Greys Harbor was polluted with debris and sand bars.

We sat on the beach as I looked at my device as I began to understand it. Something happened to my eyes as I now could read the symbols and lettering, but to mom's eyes, she sees nothing.

"Where is she?" mom asks as I saw Myra's signal still in the South Pacific.

"Hawaii...back home." I look out to sea, heartbroken. The quake did great damage to not only my world, but the world that Myra lives in. "I fear our careless days of sunning on the beach and talking till dusk are all coming to an end. You see, my friend Myra is the princess of her mermaid kingdom, and I have fallen in love with her, here on land."

Mom caresses my face. Gently saying.

"Sweetie...if you still love her...then you need to tell her that. If not, you still have Joshua. And me. There is still time to undo this metamorphosis and live your life as a human." she says as I cry and nod.

Life as a female was very confusing to a male-centric mind!

To make matters worse, it was my 18th birthday today and Myra always came to see me on my birthday. But this time, with the disaster and her prior obligation as the princess of Cascadia; she never came.

We waited until sundown and I made the decision that Myra belonged in the ocean with her people; and I belonged here on the land with my people...with mom.

I took off my necklace that Myra had given to me the first time that we had met as I held it in the palm of my hand. My salty tears dropped onto the shimmering crystal, sadness and grief plagued my heart as I came to realize that Myra not showing wasn't her fault, or Atlantis fault -- it was mine!

I broke my promise to her! I used my powers on land to save our lives, and told my mother all about Myra, Atlantis, and the mermaids -- a promise that I swore to uphold -- and I broke Atlantean law by revealing it to her.

'I've disgraced her!' I cried 'I broke Atlantean law and the trust that the Cascadia mermaids had placed in me.'

Mother was speechless as this was the first time in over four years that I had ever removed my necklace.