obsessed with you

Start from the beginning

"Not here with your friends?" He asked.

I shook my head, took a sip of my drink and continued, "who goes clubbing on a Wednesday night?"

"I do. And all these people do. Especially since this club is open 24/7. It's really convenient." He said, glancing over at the clubbers on the dance floor. "I prefer to go clubbing alone. I can be myself when I'm not around people I feel like I need to impress. I guess I don't know anyone well enough to go clubbing with."

He was the complete opposite of me. I needed that motivation, that need to impress everyone to get myself to do things. After hearing his explanation, I felt wrong for thinking the way I did.
"I want to dance, I want to be confident in myself, but, I just...can't."

"Dude, come on! You've already got your looks covered, if that's what you're worried about. You just need to forget everything and put yourself in the moment. Feel the music, let it take over your body, and you'll find yourself grooving to the beats."

"You make it sound so easy."

The beautiful boy took one more sip of his drink before pulling me to the dance floor. For some reason I was glad he did. I couldn't quite hear him, but he said something along the lines of: "let me show you how to dance when you're alone!"

And so I watched him. He did a combination of dance moves that I don't know how to describe; arm raises, twirls, some ass shaking, a lot of shoulder. Also, he stuck his tongue out a lot, at me, but not in a mocking way, I think. I think he was flirting with me.

He danced till the song finished. "The next song is yours!" He yelled.

I gulped, feeling the pressure start to build up in my chest. Suddenly I understood why he preferred to go clubbing alone.

The song Arriba by Ateez was up next. The crowd cheered enthusiastically, and everyone got in the moment. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and let the music control my body.

I kept my eyes shut the entire time, whether or not I was even 'dancing', or looked like an idiot, I wouldn't know. Then I felt someone grab my hand and my eyes flickered open. The beautiful boy held my hand and guided me along with his moves, which were surprisingly easy to follow. He got more and more excited with every "skrr" and that made me excited too. Soon, we found ourselves vibing effortlessly to Arriba like long lost friends. When the song ended, I felt tired already, but I had a smile on my face.

"See? It's not that bad!" He yelled.

"Thank you!" I yelled back.

We lingered on the dance floor for a couple more minutes before heading back to our seats.

"I'm seonghwa," he said, holding out one hand. I shook it eagerly, replying: "hongjoong." His hands were so warm and soft, I didn't want to let go of it. It was really awkward after that; my heart burned with the desire to ask him for his number, but at the same time I was worried I was going too fast.

He broke the silence.

"It's my birthday today."

My jaw dropped. Finally we had something to talk about. "What, really?? Why didn't say so earlier?"

"Would've been weird if I just told you right?"

"Right...well happy birthday to you! How did you celebrate today?"

Seonghwa shifted his seat closer to mine, leaning in as if he couldn't hear me. And my heart fluttered real hard.
"I uh, made seaweed soup for myself this morning, went to work, and now I'm here." He continued.

He may have left out some details, I thought to myself. Surely he opened some presents, replied to a few text messages from people who wished him, you know, stuff you would typically do on your birthday. "Have you made a birthday wish?"