Chapter 4

Fierce dragged Feather back to the camp. Tribe of Stars, I don't remember a To-Be being this heavy! He pushed through the vines and surprised Roar. ''Hey, Fie- Oh my... What happened to Feather?'' Roar looked at him like he hasn't seen any injury like his before. ''I think he just got burned by the phoenixes. You can heal him, right?'' Fierce mumbled with Feather's neck feathers in his beak. ''Yeah- I mean... I can try.'' Roar's mentor hasn't thought him a lot about burns. Weird... I thought it was important to learn about fire. Phoenixes are our enemy, right? Fierce thought. ''Roar, I think we might have more patients soon. Ember and the rest are also fighting the Tribe of Soaring Flames.'' A few heartbeats later after the awkward silence, Ember came back with Step's body. ''Step has gone to the Tribe of Stars, everyone,'' She announced. ''We may let the stars guide her wings.'' When she saw Roar, she walked up to him as the other griffins were mourning Step's body. ''Is Feather okay?'' She asked, worried about her son. Without waiting for an answer, she brushed past Roar and pushed through the vines that isolated the healer's den. Ember stared at her son for a moment. ''I don't think I can heal his paralysis,'' Roar admitted. ''But I hope it can heal when time passes by.'' Ember's anger at Roar was not visible, but Roar could sense it. She did not want to look weak in front of her healer. ''Mom?'' Feather woke up. ''What's happening?''

''Feather! I-'' Roar moved in front of Ember to explain it better than her. ''Your legs were burned by a phoenix. They are paralyzed now.'' Ember and Roar exchanged annoyed glances at each other. Fierce overheard the conversation, but he decided not to disturb them. He saw Keen heading for their den. He followed him. ''Hey, Keen. Was the battle exciting? Too bad I couldn't be there. I bet you fought like a true Cave-Guard!'' He tried to cheer himself up by talking to his friend. ''Step is with the Tribe of Stars now. She was a good prey-hunter. I really miss her now,'' The Cave-Guard began ''Have you talked to Twinkle instead of looking for Feather?''

''I'm sorry to hear that, Keen and- Uhm... Yeah, sorry. I was. I should have stopped talking to her! I should have just...''

''Fierce, I understand. We can't change the past now.'' Keen yawned. Fierce laid next to him. The next day, Thunder woke up Fierce. ''Fierce... Ember wants to see you. She looks... Disappointed.'' Fierce followed Thunder into Ember's den. After they arrived at the entrance, Thunder nodded and walked away to do his Prey Hunter duties. ''Come in.'' Ember sat with her back facing Fierce. Fierce sat next to her. ''Is it... About Feather?'' He knew that he was going to get in trouble. ''I know you have been working with the phoenixes, Fierce! Admit it.'' She didn't face him, but looked at the stone walls with betrayal in her face. ''Ember, I am really sorry! I did not make any plans with them,'' He said bravely. ''Gaze told me he exiled one of his to-bes, because they had been meeting up with a griffin! You are the only one who is suspicious enough. You keep hiding everywhere. You're definitely keeping a secret from us!'' Fierce tried to hide his face as he saw his leader's anger. ''I'm really sorry. I have... Been meeting up with Twinkle.'' He admitted. ''Betrayer! I can't have you in my tribe! You are exiled. Leave!'' She yelled. Fierce ran through the vines, leaving his tribe-mates surprised. He ran through forests, bushes, open places and flew through some clouds to get his mind at peace.